Bachem Ba 349 "Natter"

Probable he broke the sound barrel in his vertical fall
no
the Walter engine and the four Schmidding SG34 solids had not enough thrust for that
and maximum speed were expected around 800km/h after take off
You are not necessarily right:

"The Luftwaffe test pilot Lothar Sieber (7 April 1922 – 1 March 1945) may have inadvertently become the first man to break the sound barrier on 1 March 1945. This occurred while he was piloting a Bachem Ba 349 "Natter" for the first manned vertical takeoff of a rocket in history. In 55 seconds, he traveled a total of 14 km (8.7 miles)."

"The Walter liquid-fueled rocket motor built up to full thrust and Sieber pushed the button to ignite the four solid boosters. Initially, it rose vertically. at an altitude of about 100 to 150 m (330 to 490 ft), the Natter suddenly pitched up into an inverted curve at about 30° to the vertical. At about 500 m (1,600 ft) the cockpit canopy was seen to fly off. The Natter continued to climb at high speed at an angle of 15° from the horizontal and disappeared into the clouds. The Walter motor stalled about 15 seconds after take-off. It is estimated the Natter reached 1,500 m (4,900 ft), at which point it nose-dived and hit the ground with great force about 32 seconds later, some kilometres from the launch site. Unknown at the time, one of the Schmidding boosters failed to jettison and its remains were dug up at the crash site in 1998."

The Walter engine has 2000kg and the four Schmidding boosters 4x500kg thrust, but the Natter weighs only 2232kg. This is 1,792 thrust/weight ratio against the Bell XS-1's 0,495 value. OK, I know the Natter has worse aerodinamic design and was a subsonic plane, but not impossible.
Here is another article about this deadly flight:

(It wasn't the only event, because Mano Ziegler reported his friend Heini Dittmar's famous flight on 6 July 1944 in the Me 163V-18 (VA+SP) at a speed of 1,130km/h. And Hans Guido Mutke claimed to have broke the sound barrier with his Me 262 on 9 April 1945 also. Without knowledge of the exact flight altitude, among other things, have not been proven.)

But would one call the Natter launch "flight" in the usual sense of the word--controlled flight? The descriptions sound more ballistic than aerodynamic.

I'm also skeptical about other wartime claims. Transonic aerodynamics were not well understood and measurement instrumentation was unreliable at the time. You still see claims of 500+ mph flight by P-47s, for example. The Me 163 and 262 seem like particularly unpromising shapes from a drag ans stability point of view.

The Me 163 could reach 621 mph. Compression was well understood. The Me 262 had leading-edge slats to improve high speed handling. The sweep back also delayed compressibility. A captured film shows the Me 163 climbing at an 80 degree angle. The Natter was not just tested once. As a rocket propelled point interceptor, it reached altitude and fired its rockets or cannons, and on the way down, a lever was pulled as the aircraft fell to earth, releasing a portion and leaving the pilot free to parachute to the ground. I have seen a photo of a field filled with completed Natters. US soldiers/intelligence were very interested in this aircraft. In fact, it received the first FE or Foreign Equipment number, FE-1/T-2 1.

The Me 163 could reach 621 mph. Compression was well understood. The Me 262 had leading-edge slats to improve high speed handling. The sweep back also delayed compressibility. A captured film shows the Me 163 climbing at an 80 degree angle. The Natter was not just tested once. As a rocket propelled point interceptor, it reached altitude and fired its rockets or cannons, and on the way down, a lever was pulled as the aircraft fell to earth, releasing a portion and leaving the pilot free to parachute to the ground. I have seen a photo of a field filled with completed Natters. US soldiers/intelligence were very interested in this aircraft. In fact, it received the first FE or Foreign Equipment number, FE-1/T-2 1.
I'm quite familiar with the Natter and the Me 163.

There are no documents supporting the claim, the Me 163 BV 18 has ever reached 1130 km/h.
The loss of the rudder documented with photos, which allegedly occured during this flight, actually took place on another occasion and at much lower speed.

Claims of achieving supersonic speed re: the Natter (or Komet or other WW2 German jets and rocket aircraft that actually flew) have little to no credibility.
Right up there with claims of a Nazi Germany nuclear bomb, another claim/ theory which perhaps not coincidentally is also being pushed by some of the same contributors, and perhaps gives some context for how seriously the supersonic claims should be taken.

The Bachem Ba 349 "NATTER"
was one of unusual Aircraft Project

Conceive as point-defence rocket powered interceptor, build mostly from oak wood & plywood
using one Walter HWK 109-509 A2 rocket motor and 4x Schmidding SG34 solid rocket boosters for vertical liftoff
It had ahead for it time, a Radar guide remote control who bring the Ba 349 close to Enemy Bomber fleet,
Were the Pilot take over the control and attack the Bomber fleet with 24x RZ 73 „Föhn“ or 33x R4M “Orkan“ unguided rockets.
After attack the Pilot goes in dive, shut down the Walter engine and deployed a parachute,
here the Ba 349 start separate into pieces, first the nose section of the Natter, then the Pilot and the fuselage with engine.
they all land with parachute and are collected. The BA 349 is refurnish, put together and installed on Launch pad.

on 25 February 1944 the first manned Launch of Natter take place (under allot of Pressure by SS and RLM in Berlin).
The volunteer Luftwaffe test pilot, Lothar Sieber. Take off with Natter test Model 23
but at high of 150 meter the M23 pitched backwards, then at 500 meter high, canopy is rip off from aircraft,
then the Aircraft disappear into cloud layer then dive vertical down and Crash, killing Sieber.

Official the SS declare the crash to failure of canopy lash on Be 349.
in-official there were several factors who lead to the crash,
during the Launch of M23 one of Schmidding SG34 failed to jettison ( its remains were dug up at the crash site in 1998)
also was consider that moment the canopy is rip off, Sibel was knockout or even his neck broken,
as the pilot’s head would have snapped back at event.
but there is interesting little know detail:
a group of Children watch the crash, one of eyewitness explain in TV-Doku the events

we were playing football as we hear a explosion in the sky,
as we look up, this airplane [the Be 349] shoot over us down and crash in the woods.
we run to site but we found only a burring crater and tiny pieces.
then the military came...

this is give a new insight: a explosion before the crash, could have the Walter engine failed ?

Source on Eyewitness is german ZDF TV-Doku "Projekt Natter".

(odd i not find any data about the Natter in this Forum, why ?)
Maybe he broke the sound barrier

Popular Science 6/1946.

They translated Natter to Viper, which is a different family of snakes.

Attachments

• 1946-6_PopSci-Bachem-Natter_.jpg
    1946-6_PopSci-Bachem-Natter_.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 72
The Bachem Ba 349 "NATTER"
was one of unusual Aircraft Project

Conceive as point-defence rocket powered interceptor, build mostly from oak wood & plywood
using one Walter HWK 109-509 A2 rocket motor and 4x Schmidding SG34 solid rocket boosters for vertical liftoff
It had ahead for it time, a Radar guide remote control who bring the Ba 349 close to Enemy Bomber fleet,
Were the Pilot take over the control and attack the Bomber fleet with 24x RZ 73 „Föhn“ or 33x R4M “Orkan“ unguided rockets.
After attack the Pilot goes in dive, shut down the Walter engine and deployed a parachute,
here the Ba 349 start separate into pieces, first the nose section of the Natter, then the Pilot and the fuselage with engine.
they all land with parachute and are collected. The BA 349 is refurnish, put together and installed on Launch pad.

on 25 February 1944 the first manned Launch of Natter take place (under allot of Pressure by SS and RLM in Berlin).
The volunteer Luftwaffe test pilot, Lothar Sieber. Take off with Natter test Model 23
but at high of 150 meter the M23 pitched backwards, then at 500 meter high, canopy is rip off from aircraft,
then the Aircraft disappear into cloud layer then dive vertical down and Crash, killing Sieber.

Official the SS declare the crash to failure of canopy lash on Be 349.
in-official there were several factors who lead to the crash,
during the Launch of M23 one of Schmidding SG34 failed to jettison ( its remains were dug up at the crash site in 1998)
also was consider that moment the canopy is rip off, Sibel was knockout or even his neck broken,
as the pilot’s head would have snapped back at event.
but there is interesting little know detail:
a group of Children watch the crash, one of eyewitness explain in TV-Doku the events

we were playing football as we hear a explosion in the sky,
as we look up, this airplane [the Be 349] shoot over us down and crash in the woods.
we run to site but we found only a burring crater and tiny pieces.
then the military came...

this is give a new insight: a explosion before the crash, could have the Walter engine failed ?

Source on Eyewitness is german ZDF TV-Doku "Projekt Natter".

(odd i not find any data about the Natter in this Forum, why ?)
Maybe he broke the sound barrier
Eyewitness accounts, especially of startling events like an aircraft diving into the ground, are notoriously unreliable. Given that this account is based on a childhood memory from at least 10 years earlier (and even 1954 would have been very early for a TV documentary), I don't think much weight can be put on it.

Last edited:
Eyewitness accounts, especially of startling events like an aircraft diving into the ground, are notoriously unreliable. Given that this account is based on a childhood memory from at least 10 years earlier (and even 1954 would have been very early for a TV documentary), I don't much weight can be put on it.
to make matter worst the TV documentary was from 2012, 67 years later !

One thing overlooked in all this is that the Ba 349 was really just a manned surface-to-air missile. The pilot got around the problem of providing an automated guidance system for the missile. Thus, I wouldn't call it an "aircraft," "fighter," or "interceptor," but rather a manned SAM.

I want to remember the competitors,

Arado
Blohm & Voss
Fieseler
Focke Wulf
Heinkel
Junkers
Siebel

Attachments

• 10.png
    10.png
    487.9 KB · Views: 28