BAC Multi-Unit Space Transport and Recovery Device (MUSTARD)

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

In the Flightglobal I found that project for BAC.

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1966/1966%20-%200663.pdf

Attachments

• BAC space transport.JPG
    BAC space transport.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 811
hesham said:
Hi,

In the Flightglobal I found that project for BAC.

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1966/1966%20-%200663.pdf

Thanks Hesham, that's the BAC MUSTARD - Multi-Unit Space Transport and Recovery Device.

One of my favourite space projects.

More info can be found at http://www.unrealaircraft.com/wings/bac_mustard.php and http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/6133/60planes.html.

Sadly, not much else out there on this project. There was an article in the British "Space Voyager" magazine in the 1980's. Does anyone have it?

Starviking

starviking said:
There was an article in the British "Space Voyager" magazine in the 1980's. Does anyone have it?
I have it (there was an article in one issue, and plans in another - I have both). Don't know what the position is with copyright, though (re: posting stuff).

Yes those two issues of Space Voyager were rather good ones - Orionblamblam did a great article with lots of other diagrams in one of his APR's as well. Wasn't there a CRESS project as well?

The British Interplanetary Society's 'Space Chronicle' has a good article on UK Spaceplanes including Mustard.

Vol 59, Suppl. 2, 2006

There was also a version that had the three modules arranged in a triangle, god knows how the separation would work for that...

Joe, thank you zillion times. Hope we will see Page 3 as well)

Here are the colour paintings published in 'Space Voyager' back in the 1980s. Although the magazine is long defunct, I'm unsure as to copyright restrictions, so in line with the site's rules, I am posting them as lo-res (maximum 600 pixels height) for 'fair use'. If anyone can confirm if I can post higher res versions, I'll happily do so.

BTW, marvellous image of the glider research vehicle, TsrJoe, thanks!

Attachments

• MUSTARD 1 lowres.jpg
    MUSTARD 1 lowres.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 793
  • MUSTARD 2 lowres.jpg
    MUSTARD 2 lowres.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 719
  • MUSTARD 3 lowres.jpg
    MUSTARD 3 lowres.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 708
  • MUSTARD 4 lowres.jpg
    MUSTARD 4 lowres.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 748
Journal of the Royal Aeronautical Society Vol 70 Aug 1966.
Article by T.W. Smith, BSc, FBIS
British Aircraft Corporation, Preston Division

Launch: All motors burning. First stage cut-off occurs 150 seconds from launch, at a velocity of 6,600ft/sec. Altitude is then 30 n.m.

Separation: During a short coast phase the vehicle connections are released. Spacecraft relights main motors and achieves parking orbit 1000 n.m. and 10 minutes from launch.

Spacecraft re-entry: Re-entry is initiated 11,000 n.m. from landing. The hypersonic L/D of 1.0 gives a footprint width of 1360 n.m.

Booster return: During re-entry, the peak heating and maximum g 5.1 occur 270 n.m from launch. Following the 300 n.m. subsonic fly-back, the booster lands at 100 kt.

Attachments

• scan0036 (5).jpg
    scan0036 (5).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 193
  • scan0037 (2).jpg
    scan0037 (2).jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 209
Found BAC Mustard patent, that has other space launch vehicles concepts as well
http://www.google.com/patents?id=OppcAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=3369771#PPP9,M1

What are drawbacks of Biamese / Triamese -type launchers such as this Mustard or (expendable) Delta 4H ?

Archibald said:
What are drawbacks of Biamese / Triamese -type launchers such as this Mustard or (expendable) Delta 4H ?

Well, for an expendable, like the Delta IV Heavy, the drawback is that the launcher is heavier than an equivalent-payload launcher that doesn't use strap-ons. But to get that equivalent launcher you have to develop it - much easier to strap boosters to an already-designed launcher.

There are probably some drag effects from the strap-ons and the strap-on/booster interface.

Same applies to the MUSTARD - overall heavier than a 2-stage RLV of equivalent payload.

Starviking

I suppose this explain why sometimes there's cross-feed system between the boosters - but then the launcher become overly complicated!!

Thank you for the input.

Hi,

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1966/1966%20-%200817.html

Attachments

• comparison.JPG
    comparison.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 999
What other designs were proposed that would have been the same as the British MUSTARD - using identical or virtually identical stages?

Model, Space Shuttle, British Aircraft Corporation MUSTARD Triamese Concept from the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Collections Database web site.

This British Aircraft Corporation concept for a fully reusable space transportation system was studied long before the Shuttle research effort in 1969-1972. First presented in 1962, the design was called MUSTARD (Multi-Unit Space Transport and Recovery Device). It featured three piloted lifting-body vehicles - two boosters and an orbiter - that would be launched either stacked or clustered. During ascent the spent boosters would separate and be flown like a glider back to land, and the orbiter would continue into space and later make a gliding return. All propellants were carried inside each vehicle. The origin of this model is unknown; it may have come to the Museum from its designer, British Aircraft Corporation.

Attachments

• A19900223000CP06.jpg
    A19900223000CP06.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 854
Some sad news that is applicable here:

Tom Smith, who has died aged 85, led a team of aeronautical engineers at the British Aircraft Corporation (BAC) which, in the 1960s, produced full plans for a British Space Shuttle, long before Enterprise, Columbia or Challenger were even a gleam in an American designer’s eye.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/technology-obituaries/9649596/Tom-Smith.html

apparently have found these on Flickr, but don't remember who was that nice person who posted 'em
apparently from Smithsonian

Attachments

• 15694686548_e66bf96f81_o.jpg
    15694686548_e66bf96f81_o.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 614
  • 15694686668_5001ca8b15_o.jpg
    15694686668_5001ca8b15_o.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 578
flateric said:
apparently have found these on Flickr, but don't remember who was that nice person who posted 'em
apparently from Smithsonian

Wow,lovely one,thank you my dear Flateric.

A model of the MUSTARD lifting body, a British version of the space shuttle, designed in the 1960's. On display at the British Interplanetary Society Headquarters in Vauxhall, London, UK

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/richards_photos/

some nice panel lines & details there

Attachments

• 2874960529_e3be019de5_o.jpg
    2874960529_e3be019de5_o.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 472
  • 2875788038_99c4361cf9_o.jpg
    2875788038_99c4361cf9_o.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 167
Am waiting for this book to be available on Amazon to buy, be intersting read.

51rZH6bZFPL._SX369_BO1204203200__zpseif1ie5a.jpg

Though begs the question, I guess it was politics, more politics thrown in with money which curtailed MUSTARD?

On the other hand, if we went ahead of it then all testing and launch would be from Woomera..

cheers

The British Interplanetary Society's November issue of Spaceflight (Vol 58 No 11) has an article on MUSTARD by Daniel Sharp that can be read as a preview. Six pages crammed with detail, some old and new illustrations promising a fascinating book.

Among the reasons for the cancellation were the Outer Space Treaty of 1967 outlawing orbital weapons and the rapid development of American satellite technology which took away much of the rationale for the programme. Incidental were tensions with European competitors.

There's an article in a 2006 issue of the JBIS (I don't have it) in which people involved in the programme reflect that at the time it seemed the most compelling, with higher operating costs than some competing concepts but much lower technology risk.

Rhinocrates said:
The British Interplanetary Society's November issue of Spaceflight (Vol 58 No 11) has an article on MUSTARD by Daniel Sharp that can be read as a preview. Six pages crammed with detail, some old and new illustrations promising a fascinating book.

Among the reasons for the cancellation were the Outer Space Treaty of 1967 outlawing orbital weapons and the rapid development of American satellite technology which took away much of the rationale for the programme. Incidental were tensions with European competitors.

There's an article in a 2006 issue of the JBIS (I don't have it) in which people involved in the programme reflect that at the time it seemed the most compelling, with higher operating costs than some competing concepts but much lower technology risk.

I have got the said issue of Spaceflight, it is highly interesting read and make's me want to get the book even more. B)

I was sorting through a pile of home recordings on VHS cassettes and seeing which ones would be worth transferring onto DVD when I came across a very old Channel 4 Documentary called "After the dream" which was about the British Astronauts trained in readiness for missions aboard the US Space Shuttle before the Challenger disaster put paid to our plans. Towards the end of the programme, there was a segment about the BAC Mustard and this included an interesting interview with Tom Smith (the documentary also contained an interview with Geoffrey Pardoe about Blue Streak).
I am searching the internet to see if a better copy than mine is out there.
Alan

AlanDavies said:
I was sorting through a pile of home recordings on VHS cassettes and seeing which ones would be worth transferring onto DVD when I came across a very old Channel 4 Documentary called "After the dream" which was about the British Astronauts trained in readiness for missions aboard the US Space Shuttle before the Challenger disaster put paid to our plans. Towards the end of the programme, there was a segment about the BAC Mustard and this included an interesting interview with Tom Smith (the documentary also contained an interview with Geoffrey Pardoe about Blue Streak).
I am searching the internet to see if a better copy than mine is out there.
Alan

Sounds fantastic - I'd love to see it - hope you find it!

Hi
If you are interested I can send a DVD copy of the programme, it is taken from the VHS tape so the quality isn't the best but is perfectly watchable and still has some vintage commercial breaks from the Eighties!
Please let me know how to send it to you.
Thanks
Alan

AlanDavies said:
Hi
If you are interested I can send a DVD copy of the programme, it is taken from the VHS tape so the quality isn't the best but is perfectly watchable and still has some vintage commercial breaks from the Eighties!
Please let me know how to send it to you.
Thanks
Alan

Thank you Alan,and I am Interested,please send to me a copy,I will tell you inspecial message
my E-mail address.

This is pure speculation, and I wonder if anyone knows if it's true, but "Mustard" could be a "bacronym." There's an English idiom, "as keen as mustard." "Keen" means "sharp," literally and metaphorically, and contrary to a general reputation for bland food, English mustard is hot. I can't help thinking that engineers nicknamed their exciting new concept Mustard and later made it an acronym. If it has been American, it might have been the Space Applications Launch System Assembly. If it were built now, it might be Vertical INtegrated Device Accessing Low Orbital Operations.

Last edited: