• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

AX Contenders (alternatives to the Fairchild A-10 Thunderbolt II)

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I've tried to restore this image. No idea what it is supposed to look like, but I think this is an improvement:
And one more attempt - I use your's work as starting point.
The result could be enhanced more, if we decide the camouflage' colors and then separately adjust the aircraft.

Attachments

Mark Nankivil

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just getting better and better - thanks! Mark

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Sienar's version is the most believable one. Good work!

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
'After the war, Hans-Ulrich Rudel consulted Fairchild during the development of the A-10.'
(Source: https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/21197/why-was-the-engine-of-the-ju-87-stuka-not-replaced-with-a-more-powerful-one)

As a huge fan of the AX/A-10 and it's role, this is the first time I've heard of Hans-Ulrich Rudel participation in the AX program.

Regards
Pioneer

alanqua

I dunno if she's the wife of my life
Reaction score
'After the war, Hans-Ulrich Rudel consulted Fairchild during the development of the A-10.'
(Source: https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/21197/why-was-the-engine-of-the-ju-87-stuka-not-replaced-with-a-more-powerful-one)

As a huge fan of the AX/A-10 and it's role, this is the first time I've heard of Hans-Ulrich Rudel participation in the AX program.

Regards
Pioneer
Hello,
Here are some work published in Le Fana de l'Aviation hors serie on the A-10. We decided to publish some of the contenders, it's always interesting. In order to make the plans a little bit "sexier", I had to invent some details (markings, some structures details, etc...), but I think they reflect quite well, what could have looked like those contenders. We did not represent all the competitors, they were so many, but only some of them.
Special mention, for the Boeing design, I had informations from a former Boeing researcher/engineer who helped me so that I could propose a good drawing example. There were lots of other Boeing designs, but I found rare information on them.
Regards
Alain

Attachments

Last edited:

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
From L+K 18/1970,

also North American/Rockwell and Bell Textron submitted a proposals for this contest ?.

Attachments

martinbayer

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Good Day All -

Found these two sketches in the Robert Kemp Collection on the SDASM Flickr which seem to be AX designs.

Enjoy the Day! Mark
Are we sure these two sketches are legit? In both the ejection seat triangles are drawn upside down.