I saw one set up as an ASW MPA at the Pima Air Museum. It had what appeared to be some kind of collector to detect diesel exhaust in the dorsal position.

Ken, was the original ship-mounted version developed in Canada?

The US Navy Autolycus analogue was the AN/ASR.3, but was know as 'Ash' during trials in the Mojave Desert under Have Garden. Not to be confused with the ASH radar series.

See Nimrod's Genesis

Chris

Shackletons of 8 Sqn pay a visit to Woodford, Cheshire (where they were built) in March 1989

1tothirtysix

Published on Jul 4, 2014
Five 8 Sqd RAF Avro Shackletons come back to Woodford 9th March 1989 (staying untill 13th March) for a 4 aircraft flypast, on their 40th anniversary, before they go out of service in July 1991, one burst a tyre on landing (the last to land I think) due to a 30 knot gust of cross wind on landing, you'll never hear 'Griffin' engines again. Serial's 1. WL756 (Mr Rusty) 2. WL757 (Brian) 3.WL790 (Mr McHenry later re-named Zebadee) 4. WR963 (Parsley later re-named Ermintrude 2) 5. WR965 (Dill later renamed Rosalie 2 ) & sometimes called Dylan which sadly crashed on the Isle of Harris 30.4.1990 killing the crew.
This is not necessarily, in the order of their landing, does anybody know?

Brian Withers, a former Shackleton pilot, gives us a detailed tour of the Shackleton based at Newark Air Museum.

Having been on board Newark's Shacklebomber, I can highly recommend this.

Attachments

• Avro Shackleton.jpg
    Avro Shackleton.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Flight deck.jpg
    Flight deck.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Work stations.jpg
    Work stations.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 33
I keep trying to go and look at the Shackleton in the Air and Space Museum in Manchester, but always seem to get my timing wrong, usually go during a school holiday - the last time I tried I went during term time, but the hall with the aircraft in was closed - I think part of the roof have fell off - and then we have lockdown - sometime you just can't win :rolleyes: :rolleyes:!!!!!!!

I wonder why they did not get turboprops but possibly fatigue ended their days more than anything else.