Aviation Traders projects

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
Hi all,

have found a list of the projects by the british Aviation Traders. Also a pic of the ATL.96 project.
Do you have pics or drawings of the projects ATL.91/ATL.92/ATL.93/ATL.95 and ATL.99????

Regards Maveric

Attachments

• Aviation Traders ATL-96 Accountant.jpg
    Aviation Traders ATL-96 Accountant.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 726
  • McFarland - The ATL-98 Carvair 42.pdf
    95.8 KB · Views: 51
Here is the Aviation Traders Accountant(don't know the inhouse designation for it):

Attachments

• Aviation Traders Accountant (from 1955 ad).jpg
    Aviation Traders Accountant (from 1955 ad).jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 570
Hi Stargazer,

the inhouse designation for Accountant is ATL-90.

That one actually flew.

1651075.jpg
Airliners.net caption:
G-ATEL (cn ATL.90) One of the unsuccessful "Dakota Replacements", the Accountant was built by Freddie Laker's Aviation Traders at Southend. It was powered by two Rolls-Royce Darts. It accommodated 28 passengers and first flew on July 9, 1957. Seen at the 1957 Farnborough air show, it last flew on January 10, 1958 and was scrapped at Southend in February 1960.
[edit] replaced dead image-link with image

Last edited:
I absolutely love the way that British aircraft, British cars, British houses, British clothes, British TV shows used to look like NOTHING ELSE in those days.

(that was when the British still cherished their difference and didn't surrender to the influence of world culture, of course...)

Stargazer2006 said:
I absolutely love the way that British aircraft, British cars, British houses, British clothes, British TV shows used to look like NOTHING ELSE in those days.

Attachments

• Inspector-Morse-and-his-Jag.jpg
    Inspector-Morse-and-his-Jag.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 191
Hi,

I think the ATL-94 & ATL-97 were a Carvair Car Ferry variants of the Douglas
DC-6 & DC-7,but I am not sure ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 79
I've always wondered
British post-war passenger aircraft often have cockpit arrangements that break the fuselage upper mould line - ie: the fuselage contours do not flow smoothly from the top of the windscreen aft, but are broken immediately behind the cockpit. This is quite evident on the Vickers Viscount, HS 125 and to a lesser degree on the Accountant and the Airspeed Ambassador. My guess is that it has to do with pressurization loads and allows the pressure vessel of the cockpit to be constructed as a near-dome grafted to the near-cylinder of the fuselage, both being efficient shapes for handling the loads. It probably made the pressure load stress calculations easier in the slide-rule era but I'd think that this benefit would be outweighed by penalties in weight, drag and goofy appearance. Does anyone have any actual knowledge of this?

Hi Taildragger,

that's right,the British commercial aircraft designers was mainly care with performance
than the shape,or on account of configuration.

pre definition configuration

Attachments

• p-d-m-603198-07.jpg
    p-d-m-603198-07.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 35
  • p-d-m-603198-05.jpg
    p-d-m-603198-05.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 32
  • p-d-m-603198-02.jpg
    p-d-m-603198-02.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 32
  • ac8.jpg
    ac8.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Aircraft-Manufacturers-AviationTraders-1954-60572.jpg
    Aircraft-Manufacturers-AviationTraders-1954-60572.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 39
Joe's Flight 1/11/57 article has "might be built by a major a/c group". Gloster built some structure for the prototype (flew 9/7/57). R.Payne's Back to the Drawing Board,P.123: GAC's "abortive attempt to take (it) over...some of (that) information was used by (Avro in) 748"; others have Freddie Laker bearing a grudge against HSAL, 748 as a copy. But it was Hunting A/c that Freddie hoped to licence for production - he had recruited its designer there. They looked...and declined: either because it was useless, or because Fokker/Fairchild and HP (and Grumman for the biz-market) were ahead to market.

Freddie put up risk money for other jobs which thrived, and for Prentice civilianisation, which did not. He was central to the emergence of BUA (which subsumed Hunting-Clan Air Transport as credible Second Force v. BOAC). He would also extract £4Mn. restitution from the Big Boys who destroyed Laker A/W.

Last edited:
For the ATL-91,

it was a two-seat tricycle undercarriage trainer Project,but its name
is very familiar "Auditor" ?!.