Charlesferdinand

amateur theologian
Reaction score
In the september 1956 issue of 'The Navy - Official Organ of the Navy League', there is an advertisement for a naval version of the Folland Gnat. One of the contributors, writing about the future British aviation projects, thinks this would be a good idea, as a back up to the Supermarine N113. Was anything like that ever concretely contemplated?

Courtesy of GTX:

navalgnat1-jpg.196157

EDIT: Fixed image link.

Last edited:
According to Derek Wood "Project Cancelled", it was a proposal by Folland, but didn't raise much enthusiasm
amongst the FAA, which was looking for a bigger fighter.
Source for the 3-view was the drawing posted by Grey Havoc (originally from "Sabre Slayer and Red Arrow",
I think)

Attachments

• Folland_Sea-Gnat.gif
    Folland_Sea-Gnat.gif
    91.6 KB · Views: 663
Given that N.113 had a nuclear strike role and that the contemporary Navy bomb was Red Beard, the Gnat might have given rise to questions about whether the aircraft was releasing the weapon, or the other way around.

PS - Did the name "Red Beard" post-date the appearance of the Twelve Red-Bearded Dwarfs in the Express' Beachcomber column?

Quite possibly as the "Rainbow Codes" had their origins in everyday items - Orange Cocktail, Red Duster, Blue Sky etc etc.

In fact only this morning the opportunity for more was opened by this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/09/atomic-wedgie-killed-denver-lee-st-clair-stepson-brad-davis-murder_n_4566700.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Purple Pants?
Green Gusset?
Red Knickers?
Blue Boxer?
Yellow Satin? (Anag.)
Brown Skidm...That's enough colour codes, Ed.

Mods - feel free to delete for lowering the tone.

G'day gents

In relation to this topic, I found this picture of Folland's ‘Sea Gnat’ advertisement on my hard drive

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Folland ‘Sea Gnat’ advertisement.jpg
    Folland ‘Sea Gnat’ advertisement.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 316
Back
Top Bottom