From Flying 1954-11,

what was this ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    246.6 KB · Views: 106

(h/t richard.)

From Aviation Francaise 1945,

here is a two strange ideas,from Mr. Max Cosyus and Mr. Ananoff ?.
Hi,

Attachments

• img2.jpg
    img2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 77
  • img3.jpg
    img3.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 69
  • img4.jpg
    img4.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 62
  • img5.jpg
    img5.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 68
From Aviation Francaise 1945,

here is a two strange ideas,from Mr. Max Cosyus and Mr. Ananoff ?.
Hi,

Using a steel cable suspended under a parachute as an antiaircraft weapon was actually a pretty common idea from the 1930s up through the early years of WW1.The Royal Navy's Unrotated Projectile used rockets to launch the cable/parachute and attached a small aerial mine to the end of the cable. The idea was that the airplane would snag the cable and the drag from the parachute would pull the mine up to airplane.

A very impressive vision of future war in 1940, with amphibious warships and aircraft with flame throwers.

Anyone who can route a flamethrower through the hub of a radial engne, has my deepest respect.

Attachments

• Flight-Issue-1-December-1940-600x843.jpg
    Flight-Issue-1-December-1940-600x843.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 68
A very impressive vision of future war in 1940, with amphibious warships and aircraft with flame throwers.

Anyone who can route a flamethrower through the hub of a radial engne, has my deepest respect.
I have sketched a motor-kannon firing through a single-row radial engine. The goal was to build a light-weight fighter circa - 1940 - powered by a Wright R-1820 radial engine with 9 air-cooled cylinders.

Blowback, anyone?
I think the artist only had a vague idea about how propellers work. Or flamethrowers, for that matter.

Frankly, if you can route a 20 mm cannon through a propeller shaft a la Bf 109, a flame thrower should be a lead pipe cinch, so to speak. The question of the wisdom of such a design still remains open though.

Afterthought - the most challenging part of the design would probably be the ignition - somewhat akin to trying to light a candle in a hurricane/tornado, but modern ramjet/scramjet technology should offer a viable solution...

Frankly, if you can route a 20 mm cannon through a propeller shaft a la Bf 109, a flame thrower should be a lead pipe cinch, so to speak. The question of the wisdom of such a design still remains open though.
Note that guns only fire through the propeller speed reduction unit on Bf.109, Yaks and Moraines.

The Me.109 had an inverted V Mercedes-Benz 605 engine with the cannon laying between the two cylinder banks. The PSRU hung down below level of the crankshaft so that the cannon only had to fire through the PSRU. This explains why Messerschmitts had a lower thrust line than most other single-engined fighters.

Russian and French fighters used up-right V engines again with the cannon laying between the two cylinder banks. Their PSRU was above the level of the crankshaft, so again, the cannon only fired through the PSRU. Russian Klimov engines were license-built and derived from a Hispano-Suiza pattern.
How fast (meters per second) do ground-pounding flame-throwers throw their flames?

Last edited:
From Aeroplane magazine 1947,

Mr. Rhowle and his concept.

Attachments

• 7000.png
    7000.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 8000.png
    8000.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
From Aviation magazine 1982,

it's not displayed in real development and project section,so I think
it was fake,but not sure ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
From Aviation magazine 1983.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
In 1943 the UK began to think seriously about post-war commercial aviation, the most reported being the Brabazon Committee and moves to negotiate the framework for global airline operations. The options for a new airport to serve London also came under scrutiny. A location east of London that would include a lagoon for flying boats was suggested, one version, drawn by Guy Morgan and Partners, championed by Fred Miles, was shown in Flight 29th July 1943. By 1946 that had been formalised, in competition with Brian Colquhoun and Partners and maybe others.
Brian Colquhoun & Partners 2.jpg Guy Morgan & Partners 1.jpg

There was a similar 1946 proposal for Morecambe Bay in Lancashire for transatlantic airliners and flying boats by building a giant causeway with runways and pools for flying boats with express rail routes to Manchester. I came across it in an old Flight but alas can't find it again.

There was a similar 1946 proposal for Morecambe Bay in Lancashire for transatlantic airliners and flying boats by building a giant causeway with runways and pools for flying boats with express rail routes to Manchester. I came across it in an old Flight but alas can't find it again.
Interesting, I'll have to track that down.
Also a scheme for Prestwick
SA_0011.jpg

Morecambe Bay barrage Would have lent itself to tidal power, plus a convenient crossing...

IIRC, there's now so much low-lying, 'at risk' land beside and behind that estuary, much reclaimed from salt-marsh that, given estimated sea-level rise, the locals need either a near-fractal sea-wall or a much, much shorter barrage. Again, providing a convenient road / tram-way link...

Now, perhaps with row of bird-friendly vertical axis wind-generators...