Aviation, Imagination of the Future from the Past

There was a similar 1946 proposal for Morecambe Bay in Lancashire for transatlantic airliners and flying boats by building a giant causeway with runways and pools for flying boats with express rail routes to Manchester. I came across it in an old Flight but alas can't find it again.

Just happened to stumble upon mention of this scheme in Hansard, the scheme seems to be earlier than I thought, if MPs were talking about in in January 1944 then the legwork must have been done during 1943.

Tangential but, IIRC, the risk of severe end-century flooding inland from estuary has revived that Classic causeway plan. Road & tram across, storm-surge / saline-incursion mitigation, a vast small-boat marine lake, marinas etc. Perhaps some tidal power, perhaps a modest wind-farm...
The latter 'vertical axis' to reduce avian casualties...
And, based on the marsh areas behind Southport sea-wall plus 'Martin Mere', fair provision for migrating birds...

Hi,

I'm not sure I'm in the right part of the forum to ask the question, but I don't think my question merits opening a specific topic.

On the cover of volume 22 of the French serie of WW2 uchronic and fantastic comics "Wunderwaffen" ("Luftwaffe 1946" like) , there are German Lippisch P.13 A, but also an American twin-jet that I cannot identify.

To the extent that the planes in this serie represent real projects from manufacturers of that era, could anyone among the SPF forum users be able to identify it?

As the title of this album is The Flight of the Thunderbird, it could be the name of the plane on the cover.

Couv_485486.jpg

Last edited:
I looked through the album in the bookstore.

Apparently, the "Thunderbird" did not come from a project of the time, but is a completely fictitious device. Its builder, also fictitious, is a man called "Elon", visibly inspired by the Elon (Musk) of our time.

The Elon Thunderbird ("prototype" from 1946 exceeding 1000 km/h) seems to have quite a few influences, the main one seeming to me to be the Swedish single-jet Saab J29 Tunnan.

From Flight 1951,

here is a Model for Ambulance aircraft.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    600.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.png
    2.png
    362.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Amazing RR idea,from Aeroplane 1959.,
That brings to mind the 20th century history of quite a number of lightweight railway vehicles which suffered from a not exactly comfortable ride quality which was ultimately traced to being a result their light weight.
I'm thinking that factor may be at odds with ease of air transport.

From Interavia 1959.

Attachments

• 20.png
    20.png
    481.2 KB · Views: 64
From Boeing Magazine 1945 ?!.
Since I've had this from our public library for about a week now, I had to smile at end of article on that page where it said, "practical aircraft of the Buck Rogers variety ..."

Attachments

• IMG_6297.JPG
    IMG_6297.JPG
    450.8 KB · Views: 51
From Flying 1969/4.

Attachments

• 20.png
    20.png
    630.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 21.png
    21.png
    186.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 22.png
    22.png
    645.5 KB · Views: 36
Found on the web.
Along with the fanciful helo, and don't you know Airfix would have had a 1/72 scale model kit of it!, note bottom edge where a hanging monorail feeds in to the heliport structure, wonder if Hornby would have had that in OO scale.

From United State Army 1954/55

the helicopter shot jet fighter ?!.

That's a good idea for snipe the enemy aircraft,and apart of air defense system,
must be considered in the future

Firing up - through your own main rotor does not make for a long flying career.
As for that illustration I'm going to call that appearance an illusion created by distorting a 3 dimensional scene to fit a 2 dimensional medium. As for potential reality, what is there to prevent the use of a descendant of Antony Fokker's 1915 interrupter gear?

As for that illustration I'm going to call that appearance an illusion created by distorting a 3 dimensional scene to fit a 2 dimensional medium. As for potential reality, what is there to prevent the use of a descendant of Antony Fokker's 1915 interrupter gear?

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if someone somewhere had a patent for just such a device.
Was there ever a helo design with a weapons system that involved firing thru the rotor/rotors?