Assault on Bin Laden: mystery of the downed chopper

Fluff

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
'Rocky Mountain Airport'
RAM coating on the fuselage, whats the RCS on a powered Rotor? Pretty high?
My gut tells me this thing is being parked on a mountain, rotors off, transmitting something in all directions....

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Sorry, im going to change my view.

the emitter is the central item, one facing fore, one aft, both at 45deg.

the emitter masks some of the other item, so they aren’t emitting.

now it would make sense You can see, one face is flat, one has a panel shape. I Think’ the flat is the emitter.

the 12 square things are cooling the one emitter.

so what ever it is, it gets hot.
Am I the only one who thinks those blue components look like data cables?
High amperage cable. That would explain test article have them on the outside (any shaffing will be grounded already)

coanda

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
High amperage cable would be orange. The blue tubing is for refrigerants.

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
High amperage cable would be orange. The blue tubing is for refrigerants.
Unless of course you are SOF and you would rather not assist in letting everyone know what you are doing.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Some mysterious low fly by mentioned by Bidden in his recent interview regarding the raid:
“In my view,” Biden told CNN, “there was one option there that was remaining: you could have done one more very low flight … spying down on the site” – a compound in Abbottabad – “to determine whether this was Bin Laden, because again, there was no certainty.

Last edited:

rooster

Reaction score
Some mysterious low fly by mentioned by Bidden in his recent interview regarding the raid:
“In my view,” Biden told CNN, “there was one option there that was remaining: you could have done one more very low flight … spying down on the site” – a compound in Abbottabad – “to determine whether this was Bin Laden, because again, there was no certainty.
What is so mysterious? There's a plethora or small drones some that look like birds......no its not a ufo or a stealthy manned recon

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score
What is so mysterious? There's a plethora or small drones some that look like birds......no its not a ufo or a stealthy manned recon
The only mystery is what Biden actually said since he and Obama can't keep their story straight.
This isn't a political polemic since it's really hard to reconcile the various accounts that have emerged.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
@rooster: to me logically a very low flight with a small drone as you say can only be... A shave.
I sense in that quote something more consequential. And no, I am not arguing about UFO or laser kitty.
It could be a covert flight at low alt to get oblique view of the compound.

Last edited:

RavenOne

Reaction score
marauder2048 said:
LowObservable said:
Yes, according to most responsible and authoritative reporting going back to 1987.

Despite the absence of available noise reduction options/retrofits
for the S-70/UH-60 family + derivatives (S-76 and S-92)?

With ever tightening noise regulations, you should have seen something by now.

I'm not super familiar with helicopter noise regs, but it looks like the new, more stringent Stage 3 rules only apply to new helicopter types, so there may not be a pressing market for hushkits on existing aircraft.

Also, the lack of commercial S-70s might be a factor -- there really don't seem to be any true civilian users at all, just military and a few paramilitary or police users.

Speaking of commercial and modified HawK ....BHI or B3 (Brainerd Firehawk and Brown Helicopter joint Venture) has got a H-60X (ex US Army UH-60A) which they use for various mods and trials from modified füel tanks / system (my pics below from Heli Expo 2016 in Louisville) To avionics trials.

Attachments

• A203CB85-59CE-4C43-AC68-EA03CFE69F4F.jpeg
    A203CB85-59CE-4C43-AC68-EA03CFE69F4F.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 6EA87A46-A668-48D4-A93C-6874A6F00BA5.jpeg
    6EA87A46-A668-48D4-A93C-6874A6F00BA5.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 100
  • AE7C95C7-C72D-43B2-9C8B-FFC28C617C4A.jpeg
    AE7C95C7-C72D-43B2-9C8B-FFC28C617C4A.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 86
  • 33C24637-B182-4F86-8DC1-97BD66730E85.jpeg
    33C24637-B182-4F86-8DC1-97BD66730E85.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 73
  • C621E9BB-B812-4B2D-A54B-016BACB11FBC.jpeg
    C621E9BB-B812-4B2D-A54B-016BACB11FBC.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 71

RavenOne

Reaction score
marauder2048 said:
LowObservable said:
Yes, according to most responsible and authoritative reporting going back to 1987.

Despite the absence of available noise reduction options/retrofits
for the S-70/UH-60 family + derivatives (S-76 and S-92)?

With ever tightening noise regulations, you should have seen something by now.

I'm not super familiar with helicopter noise regs, but it looks like the new, more stringent Stage 3 rules only apply to new helicopter types, so there may not be a pressing market for hushkits on existing aircraft.

Also, the lack of commercial S-70s might be a factor -- there really don't seem to be any true civilian users at all, just military and a few paramilitary or police users.
Also from attending following year Heli Expo 2017 in Dallas, so I saw BHi/B3 H-60X and this time it was configured for customer weapons trials. So here are my photos.

Cheers

Attachments

• E123E278-A8C8-4A94-AC21-572DB7E9E9CA.jpeg
    E123E278-A8C8-4A94-AC21-572DB7E9E9CA.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 72
  • A83E581E-7A11-4168-A869-CC06B02AEEC7.jpeg
    A83E581E-7A11-4168-A869-CC06B02AEEC7.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 63
  • A49459A4-2634-4E68-8A50-81B0B8DF1EB6.jpeg
    A49459A4-2634-4E68-8A50-81B0B8DF1EB6.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 56
  • 1098549A-17C6-4289-99D9-A5E44B8E5071.jpeg
    1098549A-17C6-4289-99D9-A5E44B8E5071.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 3F4F404B-F798-46C7-8FB5-EBD28C15A230.jpeg
    3F4F404B-F798-46C7-8FB5-EBD28C15A230.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 59
  • B4D9FC52-9237-44B7-8E77-859358CF265F.jpeg
    B4D9FC52-9237-44B7-8E77-859358CF265F.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 106

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
There will be more commercial S-70A in the coming years as many of the UH-60A are taken out of the active fleet. As mentioned a number of them are being bought for military use (no surprise there), but they are also being used by para-military and I believe there are a few being used for logging ops (not sure). Still pretty big helicopter for many of the commercial applications and it has to compete with purpose designed helicopters with lower operating cost.

RavenOne

Reaction score
There will be more commercial S-70A in the coming years as many of the UH-60A are taken out of the active fleet. As mentioned a number of them are being bought for military use (no surprise there), but they are also being used by para-military and I believe there are a few being used for logging ops (not sure). Still pretty big helicopter for many of the commercial applications and it has to compete with purpose designed helicopters with lower operating cost.
Timberline Helicopters Inc using them for supporting forestry etc (my pics from Heli Expo 2016). Also for electricity company in California PAG or PAC is using them...

But tbh any heavy logging is carried out with likes of Erickson AIrcrane or Kaman K-MAX or Super Puma.

cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8229.JPG
    IMG_8229.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8234.JPG
    IMG_8234.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 175

bob225

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Some little bits of info about the choppers on the raid: (updated with quotes)

LEON PANETTA: They decided to make use of these newer helicopters that had been developed because they were better able to avoid radar detection.

JEREMY BASH: We all went out to the observation post—we were given night vision goggles and parkas to stay warm—and looked out over the ridge and waited for the helicopters to emerge. To the surprise of everybody, the helicopters emerged not at the ridge we were looking at, but actually right behind us, right over our backs. It reinforced how these aircraft could come with a pretty good degree of surprise.

LEON PANETTA: They had to put the body on the helicopter, get whatever intelligence they could that was in the compound, destroy the helicopter that was down because it was classified and they did not want it falling into the hands of the Pakistanis or, more importantly, the Chinese.

MIKE LEITER: The president at the moment quipped to Bill McRaven, “You just blew up a $65 million helicopter and you don’t have enough money to buy a tape measure?”

EON PANETTA: Then it was really a question of McRaven working with the SEAL team to practice that operation. A model of the compound was built at one of our classified facilities.

Last edited:

fightingirish

Reaction score

RavenOne

Reaction score
And we are still no wiser there’s a myriad of clues

- Flight Concept Division at Felker AAF, Fort Eustis

- Modified EH-60A pic from 3 decades ago

- A technical paper from near 4 decades ago on lowering radar signature and acoustics for H-60 of which drawings resemble the movie prop

Also here’s a story about one Nightstalker MH-47G crew that took part in the raid and how the CWO pilot, a graduate of the Marine Corps Marine Aviation Weapons Tactics Squadron MAWTS-1 Weapons Tactics Instructors (WTI) course said it helped him and his crew survive unwanted attention from the Pakistani F-16C.

cheers

Attachments

• 862239CF-A4C0-4AB4-8998-0C0D72EBB6B7.jpeg
    862239CF-A4C0-4AB4-8998-0C0D72EBB6B7.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 246

Q-nimbus

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score

- A technical paper from near 4 decades ago on lowering radar signature and acoustics for H-60 of which drawings resemble the movie prop

Also here’s a story about one Nightstalker MH-47G crew that took part in the raid and how the CWO pilot, a graduate of the Marine Corps Marine Aviation Weapons Tactics Squadron MAWTS-1 Weapons Tactics Instructors (WTI) course said it helped him and his crew survive unwanted attention from the Pakistani F-16C.

cheers
It’s not that hard to evade the F16’s radar in a helo when flying in low, mountainous terrain. Not only can you use the terrain to shield yourself from view, but the helicopter blades shield the helicopter from (Doppler) radar because they act as a phase locked loop; the signal/frequency that goes in goes out (very simply speaking).

So it seems the story is spiced up a bit, but the timeline doesn’t add up either; the first Pakistani planes weren’t in the air until well after the raid, by then the helicopters participating in the raid were already over the border, or at least very close.

Last edited:

Q-nimbus

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
About the SHHHHHH-60’s: I think a lot of people focus on it’s radar evading/stealth capabilities. I believe it’s true stealthiness is that it’s very, very quiet. I still wonder if the helicopter that was heard when the raid was tweeted about by a local was the Chinook that came in later, or one of the SHHHHH-60’s.

RavenOne

Reaction score

cheers
It’s not that hard to evade the F16’s radar in a helo when flying in low, mountainous terrain. Not only can you use the terrain to shield yourself from view, but the helicopter blades shield the helicopter from (Doppler) radar because they act as a phase locked loop; the signal/frequency that goes in goes out (very simply speaking).

So it seems the story is spiced up a bit, but the timeline doesn’t add up either; the first Pakistani planes weren’t in the air until well after the raid, by then the helicopters participating in the raid were already over the border, or at least very close.
The Chinook was removing the target‘s remains after the raid

cheers

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
As the Admiral mentioned in the interview (the) onsite operators asked to stay around to collect all of the intel, which it seems they had not anticipated as being on site (somewhat surprising). He then mentioned that they had overstayed their time and crowds were beginning to gather, necessitating a Pakistani speaking ,member of the team to inform the crowd it was a training effort.

The Chinook was called in because the remaining Blackhawk could not lift the entire ground team, remains, and all of the intel from the site. Recall that it is said that the Chinook was used to set up the FARP for the returning Blackhawks inside Afghanistan. In this case likely carried the FARP Security Team and some of the equipment. Assuming it was called forward immediately after the first Blackhawk crashed, and assuming it was still running at the FARP at flight idle, it would likely have taken ~20 to ~30 minutes for it to get to the target area.

Of course there is possibly a healthy dose of misinformation associated with the story as well. It will likely be some time before a truly clear picture of the event is provided.

quellish

I don’t read The Drive. The Drive reads me.
Reaction score
As the Admiral mentioned in the interview (the) onsite operators asked to stay around to collect all of the intel, which it seems they had not anticipated as being on site (somewhat surprising). He then mentioned that they had overstayed their time and crowds were beginning to gather, necessitating a Pakistani speaking ,member of the team to inform the crowd it was a training effort.

The Chinook was called in because the remaining Blackhawk could not lift the entire ground team, remains, and all of the intel from the site. Recall that it is said that the Chinook was used to set up the FARP for the returning Blackhawks inside Afghanistan. In this case likely carried the FARP Security Team and some of the equipment. Assuming it was called forward immediately after the first Blackhawk crashed, and assuming it was still running at the FARP at flight idle, it would likely have taken ~20 to ~30 minutes for it to get to the target area.

Of course there is possibly a healthy dose of misinformation associated with the story as well. It will likely be some time before a truly clear picture of the event is provided.
FARP was inside Pakistan, 30 miles from target. Chinook arrived at the target from the FARP about 10 minutes after being called.

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score

FARP was inside Pakistan, 30 miles from target. Chinook arrived at the target from the FARP about 10 minutes after being called.
Interesting. Then the delay associated with the time on ground was likely due to the amount of intelligence that was being recovered from the building. Out of curiosity, where is the information published regarding the tactical actions associated with the entire mission?

quellish

I don’t read The Drive. The Drive reads me.
Reaction score

Interesting. Then the delay associated with the time on ground was likely due to the amount of intelligence that was being recovered from the building. Out of curiosity, where is the information published regarding the tactical actions associated with the entire mission?
Was posted previously in the thread:

rooster

Reaction score

Was posted previously in the thread:

Great story but I would suspect there was more than flying on that mission than 4 helicopters, i.e. something else was protecting the choppers from the pak's f16s radar.

TomS

Reaction score
The April/May CTC Sentinel has an interview with RADM McRaven. He mentions the helicopters in passing. Nothing earth shattering, but he notes that the "modified" aircraft had limited troop capacity compared to normal helicopters and that they were especially limited due to the altitude at Abottabad. If they had not flown the op in May, the forecast temperatures were too high to do it for several months. That feeds into the reports that the crash might be in part due to hotter than expected air temps robbing the aircraft of lift at the critical moment.

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Standard UH-60M. Why on earth would they keep the Super-Duperhawk in country at this late date given that most, if not all, of the customers are gone? Anyone left there is not going to be buzzing around in a super special helicopter, they are likely trying to look very local on a scooter.

Last edited:

Jeb

Reaction score
Standard UH-60M. Why on earth would they keep the Super-Duperhawk in country at this late date given that most, if not all, of the customers are gone? Anyone left there is not going to be buzzing around in a super special helicopter, they are likely trying to look very local on a scooter.
There are apparently a couple of State Department-operated H-60s that have a pointier nose; saw pics of them parked in Kabul from a prior date. That would explain the nose appearing to have more of a chine to it. Doesn't exactly explain WHY there are odd-mods around.

TomS

Reaction score
There are apparently a couple of State Department-operated H-60s that have a pointier nose; saw pics of them parked in Kabul from a prior date. That would explain the nose appearing to have more of a chine to it. Doesn't exactly explain WHY there are odd-mods around.

They're HH-60Ls according to their FAA registries. But they sure look like M models. The pointy nose is what they hang the FLIR from.

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score

They're HH-60Ls according to their FAA registries. But they sure look like M models. The pointy nose is what they hang the FLIR from.

Beat me to it

Image-2-Sikorsky-HH-60M-MEDEVAC-Black-Hawk-Helicopter.jpg
3-1-Bild-4.jpg
29318_1496265803.jpg

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score
Looks, like there were a lot of Black Hawk' versions currently in service by various customers and services. But, with all due respect, why they are discussed in this thread? Perhaps, they deserve their own place in SPF?

P.S. Off-topic: mysterious "stealth" helicopte, used in Bin Laden' raid, looks slightly odd, when today I see "controversial" images from Afganistan. Those special operations could be so far from the victory in whole conflict...

TomS

Reaction score
Looks, like there were a lot of Black Hawk' versions currently in service by various customers and services. But, with all due respect, why they are discussed in this thread? Perhaps, they deserve their own place in SPF?

Mostly the other Black Hawk variants are discussed here to explain why the pictures people saw are probably not Stealth Hawks.