Assault on Bin Laden: mystery of the downed chopper

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score

Mostly the other Black Hawk variants are discussed here to explain why the pictures people saw are probably not Stealth Hawks.
I understand you point.
Curiously, the thread is started 10 years ago :cool:
Still no new/reliable images or sources of "downed chopper" and some helicopters, equipped with more or less features to provide sthealth.

Fluff

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Looks, like there were a lot of Black Hawk' versions currently in service by various customers and services. But, with all due respect, why they are discussed in this thread? Perhaps, they deserve their own place in SPF?

Mostly the other Black Hawk variants are discussed here to explain why the pictures people saw are probably not Stealth Hawks.
And given the speed of change in Afghanistan, there’s a slim chance of the stealth hawks being flushed out or actually used.

and posible sightings will need to be posted and discussed, if we must wait for official pics, this site would be very quiet….

Dynoman

Reaction score
Surveillance blimp tethered to the NATO HQ in Kabul. Its equipped with cameras and other surveillance equipment that has helped prevent at least one attack in the past. I've read that every time they recover the blimp its filled with bullet holes. The local residents see the blimp as an intrusive prying overseer and not a friendly 'neighborhood watch.'

RavenOne

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Worth watching this documentary...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14574560/

Revealed: The Hunt for Bin Laden

Lead Planner and Captain, US Navy SEAL.

"As the briefs went through the chain of command there was a sensitivity expressed on exposure to radars and discovery of the helicopters as the force was infiltrating. That shifted the conversation to using the Black Hawks that had some of the capabilities to defeat radar."

Command Master Chief, US Navy SEAL Team Six

"Very early on when we got out and saw them fly they were unstable, particularly when they came into hover and I said with all due respect I don't think that we should use these helicopters. The time to try something new is not on the most important raid arguably since WW2."

"Another one of the factors that we had to take into account was that the aircrews flying the Black Hawks had been separate programme and didn't have a lot of time flying overseas."

Admiral McCraven, Commander Joint Special Operations Command

"..... those particular crews had been taken out of the fight for quite a while and really had just been part of research."

rooster

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Worth watching this documentary...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14574560/

Revealed: The Hunt for Bin Laden

"As the briefs went through the chain of command there was a sensitivity expressed on exposure to radars and discovery of the helicopters as the force was infiltrating. That shifted the conversation to using the Black Hawks that had some of the capabilities to defeat radar."

Command Master Chief, US Navy SEAL Team Six

"Very early on when we got out and saw them fly they were unstable, particularly when they came into hover and I said with all due respect I don't think that we should use these helicopters. The time to try something new is not on the most important raid arguably since WW2."

"Another one of the factors that we had to take into account was that the aircrews flying the Black Hawks had been separate programme and didn't have a lot of time flying overseas."

Admiral McCraven, Commander Joint Special Operations Command

"..... those particular crews had been taken out of the fight for quite a while and really had just been part of research."
Respectfully, I believe very little that I read in a book. I have been fooled before when decades after the fact, oh hey we actually built and flew the a12 years before the SR-71. That sort of changes the story a wee little bit.

publiusr

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Could they not have had a stealth Huey that didn’t have a mile long tail? Kamovs would be my choice for a confined area…no way to quiet contra rotating props for a smaller landing footprint?

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
I think the comments are very telling, and believable. It may be that the aircraft used were in fact little more than test articles for researching means to reduce helicopter radar signatures. No real intent to use them operationally, but some smart wag thought otherwise and foisted them on the operational community.

Hood

Staff member
Reaction score
Well even if they were testbeds, the research programme must have been launched with this sort of mission scenario in mind. It would seem silly not to test them in an operational environment if it was feasible to do so if that is what they were designed for.

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Operational testing of unproven technology in a mission of national/international level focus, were failure becomes a national embarrassment, is never looked on well by "special" communities who prefer that very few know what has occurred with their actions.