Perigee Raise Maneuver Complete

The perigee raise maneuver has been successfully completed. The interim cryogenic propulsion stage fired for just over 20 seconds to raise the lowest point of Orion’s Earth orbit in preparation for the critical trans-lunar injection burn that will send Orion to the Moon. The trans-lunar injection burn is currently targeted for about 3:14 a.m. EST and will last about 18 minutes.

Author Rachel Kraft
Posted on November 16, 2022 2:41 am
Categories Artemis 1, Artemis I, Uncategorized

After 18 years of first concept, SLS make it to Orbit
let hope rest of mission run good
Fixed a typo
After 45 years of SD-HLV studies... 1977, as old as my elder sister.

Didn't realized that launch date is so close from Apollo 17 50th birthday.

And now, onto BFR-7 / Starship-24 first orbital atempt.

Overall: a draw. SLS flew first for sure, and threw a payload to cislunar space. But soon, if all goes to plan, BFR-Starship will bury it, flight-rate wise.

I asked at NASAspaceflight why couldn't SLS fly 8 times a year at least, as Shuttle did in 1996. With unlimited amount of dollars and NASA budget, of course, but that's another story.
The answer: the SLS core is 100% different from a Shuttle E.T. And the 5-seg SRB is also fully different. So much for SD-HLV, and so much for that 2010 NASA act expressly saying "hell yes of course, SLS core and booster are very close from Shuttle external tank and booster. IT is just a matter of going in line, move the SSMEs to the base of the tank, and add a 5th segment to stock SRB." Yeah, sure. A complete lie. So much for DIRECT, too.
End result: bottlenecks at Michoud and elsewhere, Boeing included: and only 1.5 launch per year, 2 at best. Except the money isn't even there.
Oh well...

And right after Buran's spaceflight annivesary, Huntsville's 11K26 Energia II led Marshall in singing the Crimson Tide's fight-song, 'Rammer-Jammer:' "Hey, Elon!...." After jamming this up Musk-who'd want the core back anyway...

View: https://twitter.com/spacecoast_stve/status/1592787312899133440

The most powerful operational rocket.

View: https://twitter.com/spacecoast_stve/status/1592796508029845504

Booster separation. This point in flight was especially cool to see. When the boosters are still spewing bits of propellant like sparks. It reminded me of what it looks like when a spacecraft is reentering Earth’s atmosphere.

Catch the replay: youtu.be/kvaz66nMEls

Orion on Its Way to the Moon

The interim cryogenic propulsion stage (ICPS) completed its approximately 18-minute trans-lunar injection (TLI) burn and the spacecraft has separated from the stage. Orion fired its auxiliary thrusters to move a safe distance away from the expended stage and the spacecraft is on its way to the Moon.

NASA will hold a postlaunch news conference at 5 a.m. EST today from Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Participants are:

Bill Nelson, NASA administrator
Mike Sarafin, Artemis mission manager, NASA Headquarters
Mike Bolger, Exploration Ground Systems Program manager, Kennedy
John Honeycutt, Space Launch System Program manager, Marshall
Howard Hu, Orion Program manager, NASA’s Johnson Space Center
Emily Nelson, chief flight director, Johnson

Author Rachel Kraft
Posted on November 16, 2022 3:44 am
Categories Artemis 1, Artemis I
Post navigation

You tend to forget, well I do anyway, that SLS is more than a moon rocket but also designed to reach Mars as well.

View: https://twitter.com/jimfree/status/1592837040886149123

Today was monumental for NASA, the United States, and the world. Our first Artemis mission is on its way to the Moon, and for so many globally, a dream was realized today.

The contributions to get us to today can't be measured; they are more than pieces of hardware. The contributions are hard-working people's hearts and souls. Our teams give up time with their families and things that they love to do because they love this dream more.

Today was a culmination for our teams - an opportunity to finally exhale. But it was a beginning for humanity to see what a new generation of explorers is truly capable of when they rally around a goal to explore.

Through Artemis, we'll conduct amazing science and learn how to live on another world, and thanks to Artemis, humans will walk on Mars.

The Artemis generation has arrived, and we are going.

You tend to forget, well I do anyway, that SLS is more than a moon rocket but also designed to reach Mars as well.

View: https://twitter.com/jimfree/status/1592837040886149123

Today was monumental for NASA, the United States, and the world. Our first Artemis mission is on its way to the Moon, and for so many globally, a dream was realized today.

The contributions to get us to today can't be measured; they are more than pieces of hardware. The contributions are hard-working people's hearts and souls. Our teams give up time with their families and things that they love to do because they love this dream more.

Today was a culmination for our teams - an opportunity to finally exhale. But it was a beginning for humanity to see what a new generation of explorers is truly capable of when they rally around a goal to explore.

Through Artemis, we'll conduct amazing science and learn how to live on another world, and thanks to Artemis, humans will walk on Mars.

The Artemis generation has arrived, and we are going.

Going to Mars was the second part of Kennedys speech which he gave when he said that ‘We are going to the Moon in this decade and do the other things’. We failed to go to Mars in the Apollo program. Let’s see what happens during the Artemis program.

wow...... i am completely speechless...... stopping the countdown at 7 minutes and sending a team to fix the leak. and launching it within an hour???? that was the most rushed pre-flight procedures i have ever seen. it did not delam mid flight. it did not explode upon ignition... its a miracle. absolutely speechless. give those leak-fixers a damn medal! :D

looks like American Space history is back and being made again. so excited!!

Last edited:
Booster separation. This point in flight was especially cool to see. When the boosters are still spewing bits of propellant like sparks. It reminded me of what it looks like when a spacecraft is reentering Earth’s atmosphere.

Catch the replay: youtu.be/kvaz66nMEls

Point of correction, those weren't bits of propellant they were bits of the insulation lining the SRBs rocket-motor casing.

On another note the SRBs for Artemis 1 should've been fitted with a parachute recovery system so they could be recovered for inspection to see how well they performed under flight conditions (The Ariane 5 SRBs are recovered occasionally for this very reason).

Edit: I'm disappointed with the lack of camera views from the SRBs, First-stage and Second-stage.

Last edited:
Two questions:

1) Is the Artemis I Orion fully operational in the sense that it could have supported a crew on this flight?

2) Since the spacecraft are re-usable, will they be given individual names?

Last edited:
View: https://twitter.com/nextspaceflight/status/1592979727870226433

Liftoff of Artemis I! The best remote video that I have ever captured! Stay tuned for a full video with additional angles on the @NASASpaceflight YouTube channel.

youtube.com/c/NASASpacefli…

View: https://twitter.com/nextspaceflight/status/1592979852583632896

Video is shot at 120 fps and played back at 30 fps (25% real time speed).