Antonov An-225 News and discussion thread

Well I tried to leave this thread open, but it seems given the high emotions among some here, its not possible at the moment.
I'm going to lock this thread for the time being and will consider re-opening it in the future. Hopefully soon.

An-225 'Mriya' will fly once again – Ukraine rebuilds the largest cargo aircraft in the world

Nov 10, 2022
The magnificent plane An-225 will fly once again. Ukrainian State Enterprise 'Antonov' announced the completion of the second plane, which is already ready by 30%. The original plane was destroyed by the Russian air attack on Hostomel in the first days of the full-scale war. 'Mriya' means 'dream' in Ukrainian. And no foreign invasion can destroy the hope and dreams of the Ukrainian people, as was noted by the President of Ukraine. And the plane will be rebuilt.

View: https://youtu.be/7pVTmCEpZ5k

Mixed feelings over this.
- Sounds like a vanity / nationalistic project
- but then again, Ukraine needs big symbols to reboost its morale in that very ugly war...
- Admittedly An-225 made some money back then as a niche aircraft, so not 100% vanity / white elephant.
- Still will cost a lot of money and resources, that could be invested elsewhere...
- There is also the matter of flipping the bird to the Russians, who still use An-124s in their air force.

Who's paying for it? Ukraine was broke before the war, with the loans they're going to need to repay to the US they're going to be broke squared.
It’s partly being funded apparently by selling 408 piece metal models of it.

“Currently, design works in this direction have begun. According to available expert estimates, currently there are about 30% of components that can be used for the second model of the aircraft. The cost of building the aircraft is estimated at least 500 million euros. However, it is too early to talk about the specific amount.

More detailed information will be disseminated after Ukraine’s victory in the war.”

Last edited:
Who's paying for it? Ukraine was broke before the war, with the loans they're going to need to repay to the US they're going to be broke squared.
It’s partly being funded apparently by selling 408 piece metal models of it.
You mean this?

https://metal-time.com/products/ukrainian-dream

Not really my kind of model... a lot of work to end up with something that's not terribly accurate. If I had the funds, I'd rather have something like one of those de Agostini/Hachette/Eaglemoss "part work" giant model kits. An An-225 in, say, 1/32 scale would be impressive.

As for how to fund the An-225, I would prefer the new production line be funded by post-war reparations. I'm sure a good chunk of the An-225 cost could be paid for by selling St. Petersburg to Finland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ukraine handed suspicion notices on Friday to three former top managers of aircraft manufacturer Antonov for obstructing the country's military and allowing Russia to destroy the iconic giant "Mriya" cargo plane at the start of the full-scale war.

The Prosecutor General's Office and the SBU security service said the former officials prevented the Ukrainian National Guard from building fortifications at a key airport on the outskirts of the capital Kyiv in January to February last year as the threat of Russia's full-scale invasion loomed.

Back
Top Bottom