New books on Antonov heavylift aircraft and Myasishchev M-4 intercontinental bomber from Schiffer Publishing

Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

Until recently, almost all English-language books on Soviet/Russian aviation written by Yefim Gordon, Sergei Komissarov, and Dmitri Komissarov were published in the UK, especially by Midland Publishing and later Crecy Publishing. However, it's quite heartening to see a number of books by these authors on aircraft built in the former Soviet Union published by Schiffer (Jason Nicholas Moore himself has published a number of books on Soviet/Russian aviation since the mid-2010s, making himself the first American to write histories of Soviet/Russian military aircraft).

I cannot wait until the Myasishchev M-4- 3M Soviet Strategic bomber book is released, it is going to be a long wait though. It does not come out until July next year.

In the radio operator/gunner's station of the mockup in chapter 1, the Morse key in front of the radio gear appears to be from a B-29?

Last edited:
Curious to know how much of a development it is upon the following:

9781857801521.jpg

I just finished the book Antonov's heavy transports (by Yefim Gordon and Dimitry Komissarov).

This book describes the An-22, An-124, An-225 and An-70: development, manufacturing, operations, and projects based on these. A brief chapter at the end lists a series of projects that used these transports to launch spacecraft (Interim HOTOL, MAKS, a few others including ICBM-based rockets that would be shoved out the back).
The book has 288 pages in A4 format, with lots of color images, a bunch of profiles showing the various liveries these aircraft flew in, and a 3-view of each aircraft. Most of the space is reserved for the base aircraft, with lots of detail on each aircraft. One surprising anekdote is that the Russians initially intended to use the Rolls Royce RB.211, they approached RR to buy a few engines (with the intent of copying them). RR didn't fall for that, so the D-18 was developed instead.
Unbuilt projects get a brief mention at the end of each chapter. This ranges from alternative engines, via passenger versions (including an An-225 cruiseliner, with cabins instead of bus-style seating, with room for ~300 passengers) to more outlandish proposals (An-124 with air cushion landing gear, a twin-fuselage, 16-engine An-225 for launching a large spacecraft).
The book is well-written, easy to read, and production quality is high.

I just finished the book Antonov's heavy transports (by Yefim Gordon and Dimitry Komissarov).
Thank you very much for such a helpful review!
Added to my list.

Back
Top Bottom