American Secret Projects OUT NOW!

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Buy it here:

http://www.ianallanpublishing.com/product.php?productid=56669&cat=0&page=1

Run, don't walk :)

Picked up my copy today from the Ian Allan bookstore at Waterloo.

Very, very nice!

Its got a whole lot of stuff, particularly strong on the earlier period. I was surprised not to see a few more General Dynamics Model LWF designs however, though I guess they are reasonably well known.

There are a number of unidentified models throughout the book, and Tony asks for anyone able to identify them to get in touch. The challenge is on!

Observant readers might note that the forum is mentioned in the Select Bibliography.

I was able to order it from Ian Allan- for £30.25

I prefer buying in the USA were euro vs US dollar exchange rate is far better that euro vs pound. I'll wait ;)

Just to prove it exists ;)

This forum gets a mention in "Selected Bibliography" :)

Its a big one: 240 pages...

Attachments

• IMG_2664.jpg
    IMG_2664.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_2665.jpg
    IMG_2665.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 967
  • IMG_2667.jpg
    IMG_2667.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 612
Mine is coming, but just a question, Paul, how is the LRI chapter ?

LRI chapter in American Secret Projects

Boeing Model 712 (info, model pics, 3 view)
Douglas Model 1355 (info, model pics, 3 view)
Lockheed CL-288 (info, model pics, 3 view)
Martin 302, 308, 314 (no info available)
McDonnell Model 109 (info, description only)
McDonnell Model 110A (info, 3 view, model pics)
McDonnell Model 111A (info, 3 view)
North American WS-202A (info, model pics)
Northrop N-126 (info, model pics, 3 view)
Northrop N-144 (info, model pics, 3 view)
Northrop N-149 (info, model pics, 3 view)
Republic AP-75 (limited info, model pics, reconstructed 3 view)
Chance Vought V-391 (no info available)
Grumman G-107 (info, model pics)
Lockheed CL-320 (info, 3 view)
North American NA-236 (info, model pics)
Northrop N-167 (info, 3 view, model pics)
Northrop N-167A (info, 3 view)
North American NA-257 (info, 3 views of 3 variants, model pics)

Additional at end chapter, not really LRI)
F-106X (model pics)
Northrop Medium Range Interceptor (3 view, model pics)
Northrop N-176 (drawing, artists impression, model pics)

Thanx! Well, maybe I'll be able to give Tony some stuff for a second edition... ;D

Well, problem with this book is the sheer number of American projects. Theres a number of places where more could definitely be added, but the book is already 240 pages long.

I'd no problem to buy any number of volumes from Mr Buttler ;D

Same here. A second volume of US fighters, a US Bombers, US Missiles, US Hypersonics. . .

A US missiles book would probably require a US-based author to take on the project.

Tony says in the Introduction to this volume that he hopes to write American Secret Projects: Bombers and Attack aircraft next.

Tony says in the Introduction to this volume that he hopes to write American Secret Projects: Bombers and Attack aircraft next.

Wow, that are really good news :)

Same here. A second volume of US fighters, a US Bombers, US Missiles, US Hypersonics. . .

American Secret Projects: Hypersonics, Ramjets and Missiles would be multiple volumes in itself :)

overscan said:

American Secret Projects: Hypersonics, Ramjets and Missiles would be multiple volumes in itself :)

That won't be a problem - and I think for most of us here too !!! Do You know if Tony has planned to do a book on Bombers as a follow-on ??

Can't wait to get mine .... Cheers, Deino

overscan said:
Amazon haven't received stock yet but it must be monday or so I reckon.
My Amazon UK order status says: "Dispatch estimate: 28 Nov 2007" ... not super-fast, but good enough for me ;)

No problem with me either. :)
Let the Secret Projects Collection growing!

I asked the status of my order to Ian Allan and the reply was; "The book American secret projects has been published but we had 245 people waiting for this book and the publishers did not send us enough copies of the book so we are waiting for some more to be sent to us. As soon as more copies have been sent we will send it to you straight away."
It seems that I have to wait some time to get the book here in Japan.

A couple of random pages.

Attachments

• aspjf1.jpg
    aspjf1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 4,083
  • aspjf2.jpg
    aspjf2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2,182
  • aspjf3.jpg
    aspjf3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 523
Oh my God :eek:

That in the second scan seems to me a Republic design!

I'm going to take a look at amazon USA about the latest news. If my book ships by the end of November it should be on my hands a few days before Christmas ::)

Thanks for the heads-up; this looks really good.

Is there any degree of frustration amongst those who've read it that it stops at 1978? I can see why it did - the sheer volume of earlier information, and probably the lack of public information from the '80s onwards in the lead-up to ATF - but if the variety of real projects reflects the variety of 1980s concept art, we're missing a treat.

Number of reasons but the first is that a lot of the interesting stuff remains classified (stealth) and a lot of publicly released artwork was spurious.

Just got E-mail from Amazon UK saying it has shipped - strangely though they have only charged me £16.49 even though the website still has it listed at £18.74 - not complaining though ;D

Regards,
Barry

Received my copy at the weekend.

Many, many thanks to TB and his various collaborators for this volume. Like others I can only wait with baited breath for the promised companion volume on bombers.

The work covers as much as it practically can, but leaves some fascinating pointers to other projects that I am sure this site will follow up.

UK 75

Amazon/US has pushed back their release date from Nov 29, 2007 to May 2008!!! and doesn't even discount the price.
Specialty Press(US distributor) is saying Jan 2008.
Could someone list the chapters so I could see what I'll missing until it gets released in the US.

Why it's so hard to read the topic before posting in it?
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2954.msg23870.html#msg23870
You have plenty ways to order the book aside Amazon/US...and what a policy of groaning of absence of discount on a book just released? Do we want Tony to write a new one and publishers publishing new one earning several cents from a copy? Then we will end up with 10 or 20 bucks saved - and no new books on the horizon.

and doesn't even discount the price.

The problem with that jewel of book is a 10$ discount? :eek:...can't believe it, really sad news :'(. Remember Mr Buttler worked 6 years on the book!!!

If many people thinks that way we'll never see US Secret Projects Fighters vol II, US Secret Projects Bombers...

Amazon/US has pushed back their release date from Nov 29, 2007 to May 2008!!!

I was waiting to get my copy from US amazon today but no problem, I'll place my order tonight at UK amazon, I can't wait for more.

EEP1A said:
I asked the status of my order to Ian Allan and the reply was; "The book American secret projects has been published but we had 245 people waiting for this book and the publishers did not send us enough copies of the book so we are waiting for some more to be sent to us. As soon as more copies have been sent we will send it to you straight away."
It seems that I have to wait some time to get the book here in Japan.

Ohhh ... and I ordered mine two days after Your post !!! :eek: ... but !!!! I just got a mail that my copy has been shipped yesterday and should arrive soon.

Hope You will receive Yor copy as soon as possible too.

Cheers, Deino

Deino said:
Ohhh ... and I ordered mine two days after Your post !!! :eek: ... but !!!! I just got a mail that my copy has been shipped yesterday and should arrive soon.

Hope You will receive Yor copy as soon as possible too.

Cheers, Deino

Thank you Deino, this is a very good news!

EEP1A

recieved my copy today, excellent!!
however i think i've found a production error :mad:
on page 106, there are 3 drawings showing the evolution of the F-108 from may to december 1958. my highly trained printer's eye tells me that the top two drawings are identical. indeed the text says that in may 1958 the design still had canards, which weren't dropped until september 1958, both drawings show the october version.
it's just a minor error in in a superb book, but i'm going to be wondering now, what the correct drawing looks like.

cheers,
Robin.

Just a quick question. Just received my copy of American Secret Projects. I've not had chance to read it properly yet but I've noticed on some of the tables at the end of each chapter the aircraft speeds are listed as supersonic and high supersonic.

What are the equivalent Mach numbers. Is it say supersonic is up to Mach 2 and high supersonic over.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom