American projects of space stations in the 50s and atomic spacecraft in the 60s on the pages of Soviet magazines in the 50s and books in the 70s

D

Deleted member 12875

The Iron Curtain is a relative term. Did Stalin hate America? Passionate love is hate. Now all official Russia is very fond of the West and keeps money in Western offshores. Our country secretly adores America. A good example of this is these reprints in old Soviet magazines and books from American publications.

Above - an article about the project of a spherical space station from
Soviet magazine Техника-Молодежи 1 1952 Space Station

On the right is its American original. Northrop Space Station Jack Leynnwood project. I thank user Flickr for this illustration.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/numbersstation/51336979611/

Below is the clearest example. The famous atomic spaceplane Aldebaran from Dandridge Cole's 1965 book. Space World April 1965, VOL. B-4.18 Dandridge Cole Atomic spaceship Aldebaran - numbersstation

On the right is his reprint from the Soviet children's book I Want to Know Everything Хочу Всё Знать, 1973. But in the Soviet book it is not written - Aldebaran. There is no name Dandridge Cole. This is called both in 1953 and 1973 - a violation of copyright.

The most humorous anecdote in this regard. The first Soviet encyclopedia of cosmonautics - Little Encyclopedia of Cosmonautics 1968 Publishing House Soviet Encyclopedia (it is in my home library) - it consists of 80% of American materials and illustrations. Because in the USSR, the Soviet space theme was censored.

2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aldebaran, atomic-powered spaceship designed by Dandridge Cole, 1960.
Cargo could be carried into space at a costly of only $10 per pound.
Take off weight: 50,000 to 80,000 tons.
It could carry a payload of 30,000 tons into orbit or 22,500 tons to a soft landing on the moon.

Attachments

• 320.jpg
    320.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 79
  • índice.jpg
    índice.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 65

Justo Miranda,​

from which book or magazine Aldebaran's illustration on the left with the diagram? I collect rare books. Right - Dandridge Cole 1965. She's in my private home collection. And on the left? Can I find this in the Web Archive? Thanks.

The Aldebaran was also described on S Lowthers APR series. I should take a look at my collection to find it

Justo Miranda,​

from which book or magazine Aldebaran's illustration on the left with the diagram? I collect rare books.

That's page 433 of Ron Miller's "The Dream Machines." It's not a rare book... as of a year or two ago the first print run *still* hadn't sold out, which revelation shocked me to my core.

It's available at Amazon for a shockingly low $55. I bought mine, sight unseen, a year or two prior to the original publication when I saw it advertised at a space conference in Huntsville in the early 90's. I paid a hundred bucks at the time and was happy to do so.

Justo Miranda,​

from which book or magazine Aldebaran's illustration on the left with the diagram? I collect rare books. Right - Dandridge Cole 1965. She's in my private home collection. And on the left? Can I find this in the Web Archive? Thanks.
"The Dream machines" by Ron Miller, Krieger Publishing, 1993.

Attachments

• 331.jpg
    331.jpg
    775.8 KB · Views: 58
Now, there is a sleeker version of Aldebaran in the book with a pointed nose…an elliptical DEEP IMPACT/MESSIAH tailpipe…and square lift-fan doors on the topside…who did that?

THAT’S what I would have had in AVATAR

I always found it sublime and imposing.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 42