Unknown illustrations of space projects by Dr. Dandridge Cole from a 1963 book

russiafareast1972

life is discovery
Reaction score
New vintage book from my PDF collection of Dr. Dandridge Cole. Exploring the Secrets of Space: Astronautics for the Layman 1963 Prentice-Hall. This black and white book is a prologue to a colored tome Beyond Tomorrow.

Above - unknown illustrations. Almost unknown illustrations - the view from the restaurant of the lunar dome on the landscape under the giant dome of the lunar city and the settlement under the arches of the lunar cave.

Below are famous illustrations. An inhabited asteroid and a settlement in an asteroid.

My question is to the audience of the forum. These illustrations are from the archives of the Martin Company and General Electric. Where on the Internet can I find these illustrations in a huge resolution, a complete archive? Not a book, but illustrations - company archive tables.

The slogan of all three of Dr. Dandridge Cole's classic books is: Repetition is the mother of learning! Many of the illustrations in all his three books are repeated, the same - it is a visual archive of companies.

The great Soviet Russian artist Andrei Sokolov also repeated paintings in all his albums. Sokolov's principle is similar: Repetition is the mother of learning!

But Dr. Gatland has very different illustrations and different artists in the books.

Goodnight...

1667548924500.jpeg

Last edited:
I learned about Cole some months ago. Shame he died so young, imagine if he had met Gerard O'Neill - what those two could have achieved together. That man thougt BIG.

I first saw an illustration from Dandridge's book on the Italian retrofuturo portal FabioFemino in 2009. I collected his books from scanned pages in 2018-2022. His article in Russian was published in the Soviet journal TM in 1966 - about a habitable asteroid.

Big? Perhaps in America, yes. But in Europe and in Russia, Dr. Dandridge is absolutely unknown. Who is famous in Russia and in Europe? Kenneth Gatland, Arthur Clarke, Gerard O'Neil, Dyson and His Sphere, Michio Kaku. But definitely not Dandridge Cole. He is an intra-American guru. Therefore, his books are a discovery for us.

But in Europe and in Russia, Dr. Dandridge is absolutely unknown

100% agree with that statement ! I'm french, btw, and I can confirm he is a "nobody" on this side of the Atlantic ocean. Not even sure his english Wikipedia page has ever be translated in french.

His article in Russian was published in the Soviet journal TM in 1966 - about a habitable asteroid.

He had already died, it happened the previous year - from a heart attack (from memory, might have been 1964).

But. All of Europe and Russia since 1974 knows very well the best idea of Dandridge Cole: his echo is a novel by Arthur C. Clarke Rendezvous with Rama. Domed lunar and martian cities are the 1950s idea of Arthur Clarke in his popular science books. Dr. Dandridge Cole's atomic impulse spacecraft - Spaceplane Aldebaran - were published in the USSR in 1973 in the children's almanac "I Want to Know Everything", I saw it at school, in 1984, I was 12 years old. They were published without the name and surname of the scientist. The professor's third idea - a space catapult of two types - was also published without his name in the USSR in 1964 and 1974 in popular magazines. This is now called a fashionable term: импортозамещение, import substitution.

Americans in a mass context today know one book by Dandridge Cole: a chic color Beyond Tomorrow. The first two of his books are almost forgotten. Beyond Tomorrow - his last book, 1965, and he died after it. Soviet fan of Dandridge Col - Professor Georgy Pokrovsky. It was the perfect pair of futurists. American - atomic spaceplanes and inhabited asteroids, Russian - atomic trains and giant engineering projects for Siberia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom