Alternates to HH-3 and HH-53 in SEA

famvburg

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I was thinking of some alternate aircraft for Vietnam. AH-56 and A2D for example, in place of the AH-1 and A-1. I can’t think of anything that would take the place of the HH-3 or HH-53. I know the Sea King but it is of the HH-3 family. Any thoughts?

I was thinking of some alternate aircraft for Vietnam. AH-56 and A2D for example, in place of the AH-1 and A-1. I can’t think of anything that would take the place of the HH-3 or HH-53. I know the Sea King but it is of the HH-3 family. Any thoughts?
Pumas ? Super Frelons ?

Attachments

• Fairey Rotodyne.jpg
    Fairey Rotodyne.jpg
    785.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
The obvious answer would be Sea Knights and Chinooks. The USAF version of the Sea Knight was to have been the UH-46B, but the order was cancelled and the CH-3C ordered instead. The rest, as they say, is history.

It's not unreasonable to suppose that if the UH-46B was working out well, the USAF might have gone to Boeing Vertol and asked for a long-range CSAR version of the CH-47.

Given the way the respective Sikorsky and Boeing aircraft kept butting into one another, there's also a world in which the USMC is flying Sea Kings and Chinooks off its helicopter assault ships!

The USAF version of the Sea Knight was to have been the UH-46B, but the order was cancelled and the CH-3C ordered instead. The rest, as they say, is history.
There is some irony there, because I believe the the original USN (on behalf of the USMC) selection for its 'medium-lift, twin-turbine cargo/troop assault helicopter' and what later become the Sikorsky S-61R design, as replacement for their UH-34's. But sadly, development issues and delays allowed Boeing Vertol to push a more power derivative of its Model 107, whick became the CH-46A Sea Knight....

Regards
Pioneer

Last edited:
Compare this with the RCAF's experience of buying Boeing-Vertol CH-46/CH-113 Labrador for its search-and-rescue mission during the 1960s.
Meanwhile the Canadian Army was buying CH-46 Voyageur helicopters (also from Boeing-Vertol) for its artillery-slinging mission. Finally, the Royal Canadian Navy was buying Sikorsky CH-124 Sea Kings for their anti-submarine mission. All three airframes were powered by the same General Electric T58-8F engines.
After amalgamation, Army Voyageurs went to the Air Command SAR mission and the Army got CH-47 Chinooks for the artillery-slinging mission.
All the CSAR Labradors and Voyageurs got extra-large external fuel tanks added to their sponsons. The requirement for longer range also drove Air Command to eventually (21st century) buy EH-101 Cormorants, again because of their longer range.

While the (British) Royal Marines may have used Westland Sea King/Commandos to transport personnel, that chest-high door sill was never practical for rapid loading and un-loading.

Only the CH-61R (ramp) could have have flown all three roles.

Last edited: