Alternates to HH-3 and HH-53 in SEA

famvburg

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I was thinking of some alternate aircraft for Vietnam. AH-56 and A2D for example, in place of the AH-1 and A-1. I can’t think of anything that would take the place of the HH-3 or HH-53. I know the Sea King but it is of the HH-3 family. Any thoughts?

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I was thinking of some alternate aircraft for Vietnam. AH-56 and A2D for example, in place of the AH-1 and A-1. I can’t think of anything that would take the place of the HH-3 or HH-53. I know the Sea King but it is of the HH-3 family. Any thoughts?
Pumas ? Super Frelons ?

uk 75

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score

Attachments

• Fairey Rotodyne.jpg
    Fairey Rotodyne.jpg
    785.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

RLBH

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The obvious answer would be Sea Knights and Chinooks. The USAF version of the Sea Knight was to have been the UH-46B, but the order was cancelled and the CH-3C ordered instead. The rest, as they say, is history.

It's not unreasonable to suppose that if the UH-46B was working out well, the USAF might have gone to Boeing Vertol and asked for a long-range CSAR version of the CH-47.

Given the way the respective Sikorsky and Boeing aircraft kept butting into one another, there's also a world in which the USMC is flying Sea Kings and Chinooks off its helicopter assault ships!