• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Sea King equivalent to the Super Jolly?

frank

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I've been throwing together some Sea King kitbashes & began wondering if there was ever a proposal for a Sea King type design, as in a shorter nose & entirely new aft fuselage, based on the H-53 (or H-53E for that matter) airframe. A "Super Sea King" to the Super Jolly. I know the basic H-53 serves both needs basically as built, but Sikorsky went to the trouble to develop both the Jolly Green Giant airframe & the Sea King airframe, different, but developed from the same basic structure. IIRC, the Jolly Green Giant was developed from the Sea King, so had it been the other way around, what we know as the current Sea King would not have been. I've done some looking around & found no reference to this. Just thought I'd ask if anyone's aware.

rotorheadtx

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Well, there was this fuggly cross-breed from the island of Dr. Moreau....

frank

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hmm. I guess I'm glad I asked anyway. :)

rotorheadtx said:
Well, there was this fuggly cross-breed from the island of Dr. Moreau....

Iranian F-14A

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I believe that was what Sikorsky offered for what was eventually won by the Boeing 107 Sea Knight.I remember reading that a model of the S-61R/CH-3 was offered to the USMC at one time for transport ,but I assumed it looked just like its AF counterpart.

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
You are confusing the first Jolly Green Giant with the Super Jolly Green Giant.
The first was the S-61R which flew under Sea King S-61 rotors and dynamic components, and boat-shaped forward fuselage, but had a cargo ramp under the tail. S-61R also had a tricycle undercarriage housed in
sponsons. S-61 has a 22,000 pound gross weight.
The United States Marine Corps eventually bought Boeing-Vertol CH-46 Sea Knights for the cargo role. Hint: CH-46 shares the same GE T-58 engines as Sea King.

Whole the CH-53 Super Jolly Green Giant looks similar from a distance, it is a completely new design. The first hint is the rounded nose. CH-53 has much larger rotors and flight controls derived from the Skycrane. CH-53D has most twice the gross weight 42,000 pounds of its predecessor. This allows CH-53 to carry more fuel and armour.