Aerospatiale AM.10 Lasso & AS.15

batigol

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
AM.10, also known as Lasso, is being developed to meet a French Navy requirement for a small anti-ship missile with greater range than AS.12. The new weapon is designed to engage small surface vessels such as patrol boats, landing craft and amphibious assault ships
or hovercraft, and can also be used against land targets. Suitable launch vehicles include slow-flying aircraft and helicopters—
two missiles can be carried on an SA.342 Gazelle and four each on a Lynx, Puma or SA.365 Dauphin—and a choice of ground-based installations is available for coastal defence. The ground firing station comprises a periscopic sight with magnifications' of X3 and X12, semi-automatic command to line-of-sight guidance as used in Hot, and one or more tworound launchers. The helicopter-mounted system is based on
an APX 397 gyro-stabilised sight. The missile can be operated at night by adding a thermal imager to the standard equipment; a suitable set is being developed for Hot and for the proposed Franco-German helicopter gunship. In a helicopter installation the forward-looking infra-red (Flir) sensor is mounted on the stabilised platform carrying the sight mirror and guidance infra-red localiser, with the Flir image injected into the standard eyepiece.
The operator acquires his target with the Flir set to wide field of view, using the normal daytime control stick. He then switches to narrow field for identification, and in twilight he may revert to daytime operation for detailed target examination. The aimer then tracks the target in the normal way and the engagement proceeds in daylight. Lasso uses the same warhead as AS.12 and can be fired from existing launch rails.
- from flightglobal, 1978.

This is the second time I've come across the AM.10 in my reading. Does any one have any more information regarding this interesting missile? I've never seen an image of this missile, though it sounds based on the earlier AS.12

From Aviation International N°732, 15-30 June 1978

Attachments

• AM-10 LASSO.jpg
    AM-10 LASSO.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 288
Interesting, cardonet! I found another shot in the Flight pdf archive dated May 1978.

Attachments

• lasso.jpg
    lasso.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 229
batigol said:
Interesting, cardonet! I found another shot in the Flight pdf archive dated May 1978.
It seems that mockups were presented at several exhibitions but I am not sure this missile was flight tested.
I did not find it mentionned in
http://www.chear.defense.gouv.fr/fr/pdef/histoire/missiles_tactiques_comaero.pdf