Maury Markowitz

From the Great White North!
Reaction score
A previous thread suggested that Orange William fed into Swingfire. I am not sure how this might be.

OW was a command-guided weapon using a complex two-sight system, a computer, and IR links to the missile to control its flight through rear-mounted control surfaces. The rest of the system was basically identical to Malkara, the missile was so close in design as to be easily confused.

In contrast, Swingfire is a wire-guided design with SACLOS guidance that used thrust vectoring for control. It's difficult to imagine a "more different" system at the conceptual or physical level.

In contrast, the Pye PV, later Python, was a wire-guided SACLOS missile that used thrust vectoring for control. At first glance, it would seem much more likely that Swingfire and Python are related than Swingfire and OR.

Any further info?

So, I did come across one reference that makes this claim, a 1965 issue of Flight. They simply say it "almost certainly" came from Orange William. I suspect this is the origin of the claim, or they're quoting someone else.

I reckon you're correct Maury. I'll have a look at my ATGW files and see if I can shed any light on it.

Chris

no, other than the same company was involved they have very little in common, the failure of the first inspired the development of the 2nd