Ader Clement CV

JAZZ

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
French concept for an aircraft carrier put forward in 1985 - 24,000 tonnes overall length 220m and beam of 60m. Have this interesting drawing, I am looking for an artists impression of this concept. Two centre catapults are 75m long and can launch 22t aircraft, less powerful ones either side can 55m and launch 16t aircraft.

Hanger is given as 8,000m2 with a height of 5.8m, crew of 1500.

Attachments

• FR- Ader Clement_001a.jpg
    FR- Ader Clement_001a.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 319
I have have more faith in this forum in reaching people in the know.

JAZZ said:
French concept for an aircraft carrier put forward in 1985 - 24,000 tonnes overall length 220m and beam of 60m. Have this interesting drawing, I am looking for an artists impression of this concept. Two centre catapults are 75m long and can launch 22t aircraft, less powerful ones either side can 55m and launch 16t aircraft.

Hanger is given as 8,000m2 with a height of 5.8m, crew of 1500.

This design comes from a magazine article and was hardly a serious industrial proposal, coming well after the CdeG was approved and funded.

I prefer to define Jane's International Defense Review as a 'journal' rather than a magazine. And while I 'think' (I don't know for sure) that it is not an overly serious proposal it was put forward as an alternative approach. The concept of this smaller carrier first came to light in 1984 (but some how I 'think' that would have always been an option) and with the CdeG construction yet to be committed to...it was still considered by some a cheaper option to abandon the construction of CdeG and delay the in service date of a smaller successor.

Was this alternative design 'Clement Ader' the authors design concept, the DGA's or an earlier alternative that had already been part of the review in selecting the next CV for France.I pefer the facts if any one has them, rather than supposition on this matter...any one can guess.