AD Seaplane Type 1000

mrys

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
mrys.artstation.com
Hi All again :)
Cause my last research finished so lucky i will try another one :) Looking for drawings (not photo) of AD Seaplane Type 1000. I it big seaplane designed by J. Samuel White and built in one prototypes. Not hard to find photographs but ot drawings :( I found bit similar drawings, but not this machine.

28-1.jpg

And drawings ( NOT the same airplane - only bit similar), but in Air Enthusiast (1-2/1998) described as White Twin Seaplane.
1681209158320.png
Second drawing is described as Type 1000, but in landplane variants.
1681210021388.png
IMO - still many differences (stabiliser shape etc). And no third engine ! As I know Sunbeams engines, used on Type 100 were not radial.

Last edited:
By the way,

we spoke about he whole company here;

For the drawing,maybe you can find it in this book,

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 32
By the way,

we spoke about he whole company here;

For the drawing,maybe you can find it in this book,

Thanks Hasham. Will have to go shopping :D

Guys, you are INCREDIBLE :) Thank you Schneiderman! Before I saw your treasure I tried to do my own reconstruction, based on photographs by using programs analysing camera position on photo. And it is result. I will have to correct few things I see...

Attachments

• Type1000a_small.jpg
    Type1000a_small.jpg
    649.7 KB · Views: 36
Guys, you are INCREDIBLE :) Thank you Schneiderman! Before I saw your treasure I tried to do my own reconstruction, based on photographs by using programs analysing camera position on photo. And it is result. I will have to correct few things I see...
The drawing is from The Wight Aircraft and it would not surprise me at all if they had used a technique similar to yours to produce it.

The drawing is from The Wight Aircraft and it would not surprise me at all if they had used a technique similar to yours to produce it.

I think, that it is rather "oldschool" tracing - ink, pen, and paper :) And - it is VERY good. Some details are missed cause of low res but there are many subtle elements. Think, that author had acces to good quality photographs, maybe even blueprints. So my correction range expanded rapidly :D But it is done: Newest image of A.D. Type 1000 .

Type1000_newest_small.jpg

Last edited:
Even with three engines, could it have carried a torpedo ??

In theory - it should. But I really doubt. 31.05.1916 plane started with crew of three to its flight from Cowes to Felixtowe. It needed 24 km! take off and after it was in the air its speed was about 70 km/h what was only a bit more then stall speed... When broke oli pipe in one of engines plane did emergency landing. After repair it started again and almost reach destination. Last miles it had to be towed by tugboat.
Finally plane had to get more powerfull engines (450 hp instead 310), but plane with them didn't fly.

I think, that it is rather "oldschool" tracing - ink, pen, and paper :) And - it is VERY good. Some details are missed cause of low res but there are many subtle elements. Think, that author had acces to good quality photographs, maybe even blueprints. So my correction range expanded rapidly :D But it is done: Newest image of A.D. Type 1000 .

View attachment 697808
Yes, certainly pre-CAD but what I meant was that the drawing was probably derived mainly from photographs, as you had done. Goodall, author or the book, acknowledges the work of the artists and comments that they were working with 'often very scanty material'.
However...in this case they also had sketch drawings of the model tested by the NPL in the windtunnel in 1915 to provide useful basic layout.

Excellent final drawings by the way.

Yes, of course. The single-engine Short 184 was designed as a torpedo bomber and was the first aircraft to sink a ship with a torpedo

Thanks Hasham. Will have to go shopping :D
Lots of copies available for sale online , many at silly prices. There is one at a sensible price on Abebooks, £16.99 plus postage

Yes, of course. The single-engine Short 184 was designed as a torpedo bomber and was the first aircraft to sink a ship with a torpedo

Earlier Wight Twin Seaplanes was even tested with torpedo. But Type 1000 was worse IMO, manly because of to weak engines for 10 ton aircraft.

15-1.jpg

Earlier Wight Twin Seaplanes was even tested with torpedo. But Type 1000 was worse IMO, manly because of to weak engines for 10 ton aircraft.

View attachment 697824
Absolutely, it was a poor design but the potential was there.

As I got faster with this Type 1000, I will add a drawing of the second prototype, No.1359. :) Differences are mainly in central gondola area - it is totally new but still looks like greenhouse :) Also from engines mount area dissapeared this ridiculus armor. Not many photos of this one (threee?...) so many things can be wrong, but overall I think it looks not bad

t1000No1359_small.jpg .