AD/Wight Aircraft & Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

this company established in 1910,as White J. Samuel, & Company Ltd. or Admiralty Air Department,and in 1912 the designer Howard T. Wright joined them,later renamed Wight Aviation Ltd.,it built many aircraft,such as N.1,N.2,AD-1000,Scout,Flying Boat and Navyplane.

As I know it also had some Projects,a twin fuselage military aircraft,but I don't know more,if someone can help us ?.

Last edited:
Actually the company started back in 1805 and for most of its history it was mainly a shipyard. They used the name Wight for their aircraft, but the company never actually renamed themselves - aviation was only side business for them. Most of their production was under the licence from Short Brothers.

Known airplanes built by the company:
Short 184
Wight Admiralty Type 840
Wight Twin
Wight Admiralty Type 1000
Wight Bomber
Wight Converted Seaplane
Wight Quadruplane
Wight Baby
Wight Pusher Seaplane (Navyplane)

Admiralty Air Department was, as the name says, a department of the British Admiralty. This office had no manufacturing facilities and their projects were built by others - mainly by the White's shipard and also by Pemberton-Billing, later known as Supermarine. Pemberton-Billing bult the AD Flying Boat, later remade into Supermarine Channel, and AD Navyplane.

No other Admiralty designed types are known to me.
Footnote: Admiralty Air Department for some time also assigned service names to the machines used by the Navy. That's why Short 184, for example, is fully known as Short Admiralty Type 184. Tne number came from the serial number assigned to the first machine of the type.

Thank you Aubi,

but as I know there was a Projects for it.

From The White Aircraft.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    468 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.png
    2.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.png
    3.png
    603.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.png