Tzoli

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I've found calculations for a 10.000ton cruiser in the Hiraga archives. What is unique about this vessel that it would carry 4 triple 20cm heavily armoured gun turrets, though calculations shows quad turrets were considered as well, but it is unknown if it would carry the same number of such turrets aka 4 quad or a reduced amount of 3.
In the Hiraga archive the vessel is described as Myoko type cruiser so we can safely say it is one of the preliminary designs which led to the Final Myoko class heavy cruisers.

Other document shows a high angle 80°maximum elevation turret variant, which is higher then the actually installed ones.

Data (what is available)
Dimensions: 198,12m (waterline?) x 17,52m
Displacement: 10.000tons standard
Armour: Belt 89mmArmament:
4x3 203mm gun (or 4x4 or 3x4)
minimum 2x1 120mm DP-AA guns

The document's relevant pages:
Weight comparison with the Furutaka or Aoba class
L0ITYVC.png

Weight calculations for the hull. (armament is on the lower left corner)
V7BdFoJ.png

Some data about the triple an quad turrets including the barbettes:
gaPgPeG.png

More detailed info on the barbettes:
zOGmEMl.png

What is the background of this archive? I ask because there is a lot of English and minimal Kanji in the documents, as well as Imperial measurements in use.

starviking said:
What is the background of this archive? I ask because there is a lot of English and minimal Kanji in the documents, as well as Imperial measurements in use.

Tokyo University, Hiraga Yuzuru's archive. He was one of the greatest naval architects of Japan designed the Fuso, Kongo, Nagato and Tosa class capital ships as well as many more other ships and designs. He had good ties with the British Vickers company and studied in the UK for 4 years from 1905 to 1908

Just adding some information to the above, Hiraga Yuzuru was a professor at Tokyo University, in the Naval Engineering Department, and later became University Dean, this being the main reason for his archives being safeguarded there, I suppose.

gral_rj said:
Just adding some information to the above, Hiraga Yuzuru was a professor at Tokyo University, in the Naval Engineering Department, and later became University Dean, this being the main reason for his archives being safeguarded there, I suppose.

Indeed, but the online available archive is much smaller and somewhat worse quality then what you could find if you would able to check them personally.