Temistocle

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi, looking for something else I found some references to the "Żywe torpedy" (Living Torpedoes, i.e. Human Torpedoes), an idea of Polish military to create a suicide unit in 1939 to attack the ships of the Kriegsmarine. The project is briefly mentioned in Covert Shore here, with a couple of images.
There is a Wikipedia article here in English and here in Polish. I know Wikipedia is not the most reliable source in Internet, but it is always a good starting point to dig information from the included references.
Some other info here (in Polish); I found also this old page in the Wayback Machine, but without images.

Apart from the images in the Covert Shores page, do anybody knows other images of the torpedoes?

PS: maybe everything was only propaganda, so this thread could be put in the "Theoretical and Speculative Projects".

No, the program was real, but it appears the September campaign occurred before it was able to get up and running. Would be interesting to see how far they got with the design, doctrine, unit establishment, etc.

Fascinating! While it's a shame they were never able to destroy any ships via this method, at least the Nazis were never able to get their hands on any complete examples, instead having to build their own designs with generally poor results.