Register here

Author Topic: Mirage III W proposal by Boeing  (Read 6624 times)

Offline alanqua

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • I dunno if she's the wife of my life
Mirage III W proposal by Boeing
« on: February 29, 2012, 04:10:37 pm »
Hi everyone,
I've heard that Boeing proposed to produce the French fighter Mirage III, it was named Mirage III W.
Does anybody have more information on it? Any brochure or image?
Thank you very much.
Alain

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Mirage III W proposal by Boeing
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:21:33 pm »
Mirage IIIW was to be a license-built Boeing variant to compete with the F-5A/E on export markets.

It seems that Boeing had Dassault's fighters in good consideration.

W stands for Wichita.

According to Jack Gee's book on the Mirage, this was a variant of the Mirage IIIC intended as a competitor for the F-5A/B in the early 1960s.  It would indeed have been built by Boeing-Wichita.  It definitely could've lead somewhat earlier to a J9-powered version of the Mirage.

Offline alanqua

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:07:47 pm »
Hi,
Nobody has an image of this mysterious Mirage IIIW?
Regards
Alain

Offline Deltafan

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 01:13:34 pm »
Hi
I guess the Mirage III W was very similar to the Mirage III C, because it was foreseen to be a "technical"* Mirage III C (to be built by Boeing in Wichita for W) with an ATAR 9 B jet engine (to be built by Pratt & Withney) and Aïda radar (to be built by Hughes). The weapon system was foreseen to be all american.
*"Boeing construirait le Mirage III W selon la définition technique du Mirage III C, équipé du réacteur Snecma Atar 9 B et du radar Aïda. (...) Boeing sera responsable de la mise au point du système d'armes dont les équipements seront américains". DASSAULT 50 ANS D'AVENTURE AERONAUTIQUE, CARLIER-BERGER, EDITIONS DU CHENE, 1996, page 82.

For the Mirage III VTOL, in 1961 Dassault and Boeing want to work together for the NATO programme of a V/STOL Strike Reconnaissance Aircraft NBMR3 (Sud-Aviation and BAC were foreseen too to be part of the plane of Dassault-Boeing). It was foreseen that Boeing present the plane to the USAF too. Dassault and Sud-Aviation were foreseen to design an to build the prototype and BAC and Boeing to give technical aid. The NATO programme is cancelled in 1962. 
In 1963 the USAF had foreseen to buy 3 Mirage III V 03 like (two seats) planes to test them. Boeing was in charge to assemble and prepare the planes. In may 1964, it is foreseen to buy only two Mirage III V 03, but the project is cancelled.
DASSAULT 50 ANS D'AVENTURE AERONAUTIQUE, CARLIER-BERGER, EDITIONS DU CHENE, 1996, page 126.

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 01:14:06 pm »
No pics, unfortunately.

Another item from the web:

Dassault then started talks with Boeing, which was seeking to compete with the Northrop F-5 Freedom Fighter on the export market. This led to the Mirage IIIW programme, involving the Atar 9B engine and the Aida radar. The aircraft was to be built at Wichita (Kansas) in collaboration with Hughes (radar) and Pratt and Whitney (engine). The weapon system (4 tonnes payload) was to be US-made. However, the French government -- in the midst of pulling back from Nato -- did not relish the idea. Added to that, Boeing was planning on delivering the aircraft to the Vietnamese theatre of operations. This only compounded the matter and that was the end of the project.

Source: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3126/is_655_56/ai_n28851436/pg_9/

Offline alanqua

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:38:54 pm »
By the way, thanks to everyone for your inputs.
Regards
Alain

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:31:02 am »
The Boeing 837-333 clearly was a Mirage IIIV derivative and surely not suitable for a
competition for a light-weight fighter. In http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,839.0.html ,
#6 Archibald already mentioned the IIIW in this sense, confirmed by deltafan, so I moved the those posts
regarding the Boeing 837-333 to the "Boeing VSTOL/STOL projects" thread.
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline Antonio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 12:18:37 pm »
Boeing and the Mirage III.

Source: RAF Flight Magazine 1962