Register here

Author Topic: South African prototypes, projects, concepts, etc.  (Read 445961 times)

Offline Kadija_Man

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: South African prototypes, projects, concepts, etc.
« Reply #1680 on: July 12, 2017, 08:11:01 pm »
The nose and grill look very Saracen like:

Offline Dinges

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #1681 on: July 19, 2017, 05:16:07 am »
It was the MNU vehicle in District 9 as mentioned. IIRC it was made by a father and son team (both farmers) in the Northern Transvaal , Potgietersrus I believe. It was made by using two Saracens. The underpinnings are all Saracen. I have some pics I took of it years ago.

Pardon the quality , it was with the phone's camera.

Offline Herman

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #1682 on: August 18, 2017, 12:48:54 pm »
I must say, this MNU vehicle, movie prop, is really attractive looking! Whoever built it, put in a lot of effort and work, i.e. lengthening the hull to allow side doors between the second and third axles, ading an additional axle at the back and changing the nose profile. The Saracen was never a success in SA. Over-heating was a perennial problem with vehicles frequently coming to a stop due to vapour-locking of the fuel lines and the insides of the cars becoming unearably hot as a result of hot air from the engine exit louvres on the top being blown into the vehicle through the open driver hatch and the ventilation "mushrooms" on the side of the troop compartment. The exhaust pipe also passed under the feet of the driver with the floor of the vehicle becoming so hot in summer time in the Free State, that he could frequently not continue driving the car. In British service they had similar problems, in the middle-East. In response to this, a reverse-flow cooling system was develope, typified by louvred "beehive" type air intakes in front of the driver compartment. In the eighties, diesel powered versions of the Saracen, Saladin and Ferrit were developed in the UK but these were only supplied in small numbers to some export customes. I don't believe dieselisation of the Saracen was ever seriously considered in SA.