Register here

Author Topic: Littoral Combat Ship - Freedom/Independence  (Read 145625 times)

Offline bring_it_on

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
Re: Littoral Combat Ship - Freedom/Independence
« Reply #450 on: January 03, 2019, 01:22:44 pm »
Rate of fire is better appreciated in the video you had posted earlier of the 3 hellfire launch.

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6234.msg301798.html#msg301798

Has the Navy discussed which of the 4 LCS ships expected to be deployed this year will feature the Surface to surface Missile Module and the NSM and also whether the mid-late 2019 is still the target for first NSM and launcher installations?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 02:19:12 pm by bring_it_on »
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #451 on: January 03, 2019, 04:38:11 pm »
Was able to find some information from this article from the Diplomat from October, 2018:

US Navy’s New Naval Strike Missile to Deploy in 2019

“In that initial over-the-horizon award for LCS, the installation timeline was on a two-year delivery cycle,” Octavio Babuca of Raytheon company told Defense News. “But we are now working with the Navy to support an accelerated timeline to the deploying to littoral combat ships. That is mid-to-late 2019 time window.”

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:18:04 pm by bring_it_on »

Online fredymac

« Reply #452 on: January 04, 2019, 01:35:46 pm »
Hellfire tests are supposed to wrap up early this year with a likely decision on making it part of the standard surface warfare package.  The NSM missile will probably be added as well but no idea when.  The 57mm guided projectile will also probably be put into production.

Unless the Army resurrects the PAM missile, I don't see the Navy spending its own money to create a compact VLS missile with 20 mile range.  JAGM is still progressing so it can be expected to eventually replace the Hellfire.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #453 on: January 04, 2019, 01:43:27 pm »
From what I have been able to gather, most of the ships that deploy in 2019 would do so with the SUW module and I assume this will include both the guns and the hellfire. The aim is still to start installing the NSM on the ships by "mid-late 2019" and I think Raytheon and Kongsberg are working to get this out as soon as possible. It is quite likely that at least some of the ships that deploy in 2019 will carry the NSM. LCS-17 will be commissioned this year and IIRC will be the first ship with the TRS-4D GaN AESA radar. Alamo could come as early as 2020 and I think 2020/2021 is also when they deploy the MQ-8C.

Joe DePietro, Lockheed Martin’s vice president for small combatants and ship systems, said his company was working toward integrating the Naval Strike Missile into LCS-7, the Detroit.

"We are working right now to put the Naval Strike Missile on LCS-7, he said, “in support of an upcoming deployment. That’s going to be a fleet decision but we are doing all the design work now to put the missile on the ship.”

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/euronaval/2018/10/24/the-us-navys-new-ship-killer-missile-slated-to-make-its-fleet-debut-much-sooner-than-expected/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:30:34 pm by bring_it_on »

Offline GARGEAN

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #454 on: January 05, 2019, 02:10:16 am »
LCS-17 will be commissioned this year and IIRC will be the first ship with the TRS-4D GaN AESA radar
Interesting. Have any details about that?

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #455 on: January 05, 2019, 06:26:33 am »
LCS-17 will be commissioned this year and IIRC will be the first ship with the TRS-4D GaN AESA radar
Interesting. Have any details about that?

I was wrong on that commissioning for LCS-17. It will occur next year not this year. LCS-17 is the first ship of the Freedom class that is moving from the TRS-3D radar, which is standard on all Freedom class ships, to TRS-4D which is a C band GaN AESA radar and is a single face rotating version of the fixed panel TRS-4D that Hensoldt has on offer for frigates and other ships. The Saudi MMSC variant of the Freedom LCS will also feature the -4D.  The USN and Lockheed were on site in Germany to witness its Factory Acceptance Testing back in late 2015.

Here's some background on it from Jane's from a couple of years ago -

Based on solid-state Gallium Nitride technology, TRS-4D is a software-driven radar employing full digital beamforming, and with pulse-Doppler processing in all beams. The rotator variant features a single-face AESA antenna rotating at either 15 rpm or 30 rpm (depending on the update rate required) at 2-70° in elevation. The use of an AESA array, with instantaneous dual-axis beamsteering in both azimuth and elevation, allows for 'backward scanning' to ensure fast-track initiation.

According to Airbus, the radar's AESA technology "delivers increased sensitivity to detect smaller targets with greater accuracy, as well as faster track generation to give LCS more time to react to advanced threats". Alternatively, the antenna can be kept stationary if fixed on a defined segment of space (scanning a sector of up to 50° in azimuth).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:32:02 am by bring_it_on »

Offline GARGEAN

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #456 on: January 05, 2019, 07:37:43 am »
Thanks for info. Is that GaN installation already in use on any other ship? Or any other GaN radar for that matter?

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #457 on: January 05, 2019, 10:30:12 am »
I haven't looked at this recently but I think there may be GaN versions of the Sea master and APAR radars out there deployed in small quantity. For the US Navy this will be the first ship commissioned with a GaN AESA radar though the US Navy has had a test SPY-6 radar up in PMRF for a number of years and I believe the AN/SPY-6 in yard delivery date is also 2019/2020 for the commissioning of DDG-125 which is planned for 2023 iirc. The Carrier and the LHD program too is going to be sporting the EASR so those ship-sets would probably be hitting in the coming 2-3 years. The Marines already operate the TPS-80 ground based multi-function/surveillance radars. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:45:08 pm by bring_it_on »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #458 on: January 07, 2019, 12:02:42 pm »
I hope Lockheed hasn't given up on the LCS based frigate design it was showing in 2014. Being able to accomodate 32 MK41's either at baseline or later should be a goal.  I also hope the Navy tweeks the final FFG(X) requirements and seeks better range vs the 3000 @16knots that the RFI had.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #459 on: January 07, 2019, 02:48:05 pm »
VADM Merz on the # of Mk 41 VLS on the FFG(X) from a HASC hearing from last year..

"I want as many as I can get"...

Can the Independence class not accomodate more than 24 cells without serious performance shortfalls elsewhere?

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #460 on: January 13, 2019, 11:39:55 am »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #461 on: January 15, 2019, 11:50:22 am »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #462 on: January 16, 2019, 04:53:16 am »
RADM Boxall  confirmed that the Navy wants 32 cells on the FFG-X. This seems to be an emerging theme. Austall also presented their FFGX concept yet again at SNA but this time with a 32 cells and also confirmed that this is where the FFGX requirements are at the moment..

The two major modifications consist in a longer hull (456 feet / 139 meters compared to 418 feet / 127 meters for the earlier design) and a CODAD propulsion system with controlable picth propellers (CPP). Earlier Austal Frigate designs featured a similar hull form to the Independence-class LCS as well as its waterjet/gaz turbine propulsion arrangement.
Talking to Naval News at SNA 2019, Tim P. McCue explained that the Austal Frigate in this configuration “probably meets 90% of the U.S. Navy requirements”. He further explained that the reason for the stretched hull was to accommodate the new 32x VLS requirement (previous designs featured 16 silos) while the change in the propulsion system was to better match the speed requirement of “only” 26 knots. For the same reason, the Austal Frigate doesn’t feature a bulbous bow anymore (compared to the LCS hull form).

https://www.navalnews.com/event-news/sna-2019/2019/01/austal-further-improves-its-frigate-design-to-better-match-latest-ffgx-requirements/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:03:31 am by bring_it_on »

Offline aonestudio

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #463 on: January 17, 2019, 04:30:51 am »
 LCS with lethality and survivability upgrades SNA2019.

https://twitter.com/navalnewscom/status/1085217570817536001

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #464 on: January 17, 2019, 01:05:05 pm »