Register here

Author Topic: Luftwaffe: Secret Project Profiles/Dan Sharp & Daniel Uhr  (Read 2355 times)

Offline steelpillow

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • So many projects, so little time...
Luftwaffe: Secret Project Profiles/Dan Sharp & Daniel Uhr
« on: December 07, 2018, 08:48:23 am »

https://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/product/view/productCode/5557

Yep, looks like we need a new thread, folks!

Luftwaffe: Secret Project Profiles

Luftwaffe: Secret Project Profiles features more than 200 highly-detailed full colour profiles of jet-propelled aircraft designs produced in Nazi Germany during the Second World War.

Renowned aviation artist Daniel Uhr has brought the original German construction sketches and three-views to life like never before - offering a whole new perspective on images previously only seen as black and white line drawings.

Accompanying Danielís artworks is a full description of the competitions and requirements which produced such a huge number of innovative and unusual designs during the war, as well as descriptions of the designs themselves, written by historian Dan Sharp - author of the acclaimed Luftwaffe: Secret series - and based on the latest historical research.

Offering a host of different colour schemes and detailed notes, this is indispensable reading for enthusiasts and modellers alike.
Cheers.

Offline athpilot

• Fly me to the moon...
Re: Luftwaffe: Secret Project Profiles/Dan Sharp & Daniel Uhr
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 09:00:12 am »
Ordered!

Thanks steelpillow!
I only saw this image in a google-search, but did not manage somehow to find it at classicmagazines...

Offline steelpillow

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 09:09:29 am »
You're behind me in the queue, though. ;)

They also have RAF: Secret Jets so I got a copy of that while I was at it.  :)
Cheers.

Offline robertino

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 09:36:41 am »
such a list should be made to make it easier to find

List of reference books by period or manufacturer: ----

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19300.0.html

Offline Pasoleati

Offline newsdeskdan

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 02:59:41 pm »
Luftwaffe: Secret Project Profiles features more than 200 highly-detailed full colour profiles of jet-propelled aircraft designs produced in Nazi Germany during the Second World War.
Renowned aviation artist Daniel Uhr has brought the original German construction sketches and three-views to life like never before - offering a whole new perspective on images previously only seen as black and white line drawings.
Accompanying Danielís artworks is a full description of the competitions and requirements which produced such a huge number of innovative and unusual designs during the war, as well as descriptions of the designs themselves, written by historian Dan Sharp - author of the acclaimed Luftwaffe: Secret series - and based on the latest historical research.
Offering a host of different colour schemes and detailed notes, this is indispensible reading for enthusiasts and modellers alike.

I really enjoyed working with Daniel on this one. He spent countless hours creating all these beautiful new profile artworks and the end result is stunning!

Offline Richard N

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 05:21:54 pm »
More great stuff Dans!

Just got my digital edition of "Luftwaffe: Secret Project Profiles" from Pocketmags:  https://pocketmags.com/us/aviation-classics-magazine/luftwaffe-secret-project-profiles  They also have the rest of Dan's previous titles and other's similar work under the "Aviation Classics" heading here:  https://pocketmags.com/us/aviation-classics-magazine/issues

Offline steelpillow

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 08:50:35 am »
My copy of Luftwaffe Secret Project Profiles arrived today.

Well, it's certainly full of large and colourful side profiles of secret German aircraft projects. Each chapter has a full-colour three-view as well. It is definitely impressive on a first look. But I am not sure that it is as "indispensable reading for enthusiasts and modellers alike" as the back cover claims.

There is a useful historical overview, written to Dan Shapr's usual high standards and illustrated by a selection of original design drawings. The profiles too are accompanied by handy summaries. It brings together Dan's researches over several previous volumes in the series, and as such is very handy. But much detail is lost in the summarising and, if you already have those previous volumes, I would hardly call it "indispensible" to the enthusiast. The profiles are reproduced too large to fit enough text round them for that to happen.

Turning to the profiles, they are very nice and top marks to Daniel Uhr - as far as they go. But for the modeller there are only a few 3-views, one per chapter, which means that the information needed for an accurate model is missing. One has to work from those earlier volumes and/or take an expensive limited-edition resin kit on trust. The colours and markings are, of course, imaginative renderings of what might have been. Nevertheless they are not wildly improbable, they lend a delightful air of authenticity to the brew. It is a fine source book of ideas but the modeller is frankly better off with those previous volumes, which contained a wealth of drawings and physical data to work from.

Nevertheless, as a historically up-to-date and attractive overview of the weird-and-wonderfulness of German WWII jet projects, it cannot be beaten. It is a great way in to the subject, an ideal topic for a bookazine, and I wish it all success.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 09:55:11 am by steelpillow »
Cheers.

Offline Geist

• Never give up from your dreams!
    • Duhr Aviation Art
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 06:33:03 am »
 :D ;)
Check out my other works at my website, leave your comments and download the wallpapers!
http://www.duhraviationart.com

Offline hesham

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 05:02:18 am »
Nice.

Offline Geist

• Duhr Aviation Art
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 03:19:34 pm »
Offering a host of different colour schemes and detailed notes, this is indispensible reading for enthusiasts and modellers alike.

I really enjoyed working with Daniel on this one. He spent countless hours creating all these beautiful new profile artworks and the end result is stunning!

Thank you very much!!! Was my pleasure :)
I can tell you the same, was great too to do this work with you!
Check out my other works at my website, leave your comments and download the wallpapers!

Offline sgeorges4

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 03:43:35 am »
ordered mine today.

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 08:24:08 pm »
Ordered both the ebook and the hardcopy.  The electronic one is great reading and I look forward to having a hard copy one, too.  A "Great Work!" to both of you involved in it.  "Please, Sir, can I have another?"

Offline Geist

• Duhr Aviation Art
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 10:51:55 am »
Ordered both the ebook and the hardcopy.  The electronic one is great reading and I look forward to having a hard copy one, too.  A "Great Work!" to both of you involved in it.  "Please, Sir, can I have another?"

Thank you very much! :)

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 03:11:36 pm »
Wurger asked about the teeny tiny images on the Preface page, which have become a bit of a Luftwaffe: Secret tradition. They depict, clockwise from top left:

DVL fighter with 2 x BMW 112 dated February 1935
Arado E 380-2 mit BMW 323 R2
Ha 141 V1 rudder and flap controls
BV 144 mockup built in Germany
Me 262 mit BMW 003 R dated May 1944
Ju 287 with bubble canopy and sold nose
Messerschmitt Enzian spatial trajectory illustration
Focke-Wulf flying wing jet night fighter
BV 40 baubeschreibung intro page
Arado turret design for 2 x 2cm Rh. C30
Ta 152 E-1 wing design
Ta 183 tail fin design
He 162 wind tunnel model
Horten bros. flying wing illustrative sketch produced in crayon during interrogation
Siebel patent for glide bomb
Tail comparison between Me 209, Mustang, Airacobra and Vultee Vanguard
Arado Jaeger mit Heinkel TL design dated 10.3.43