Register here

Author Topic: Thunderchief: The Complete History of the Republic's F-105 (DENNIS JENKINS)  (Read 1927 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Pre-ordered mine directly from Specialty Press.  The sale price, even with postage, was lower than what I'd pay Amazon and it eliminates the "middle man".  Comments when mine arrives.

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
Re: Thunderchief: The Complete History of the Republic's F-105 (DENNIS JENKINS)
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 07:39:32 pm »
Got a notice from Specialty Press that the book would be delayed a few weeks, seems the weather-induced snarl in Chicago, along with some other factors, has slowed arrival of the printed books.  I did find out I ordered early enough to get one autographed by the author, though.

Offline GTX

• All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 03:38:29 am »
Got a notice from Specialty Press that the book would be delayed a few weeks, seems the weather-induced snarl in Chicago, along with some other factors, has slowed arrival of the printed books.  I did find out I ordered early enough to get one autographed by the author, though.

Yeah, same here, though they seemed to blame everything but the weather... ;D

Unfortunately, this title is caught in a massive freight delay in Chicago due to -

1) A Chinese import surge that was caused by potential tariff increases
2) The Chinese New Year
3) Post-holiday traffic

We anticipate it may be another 2 to 3 weeks before this book will be available in our warehouse to ship to you.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 04:21:20 am by GTX »

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 09:49:58 pm »
Yes, I noticed they said nothing about the weather, but I saw enough on the news to expect problems there.  Apparently it's the coldest Chicago has been in decades and it has snarled many aspects of life in that city and environs (I have to wonder how the commuter lines running on overhead catenary lines fared).

Offline martinbayer

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 11:53:06 pm »
Yes, I noticed they said nothing about the weather, but I saw enough on the news to expect problems there.  Apparently it's the coldest Chicago has been in decades and it has snarled many aspects of life in that city and environs (I have to wonder how the commuter lines running on overhead catenary lines fared).

Simple - if they don't use electric heaters or hot-air blowers, they just heat the tracks with a toasty open fire: https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a26090529/rail-company-tracks-fire-chicago/
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Offline GTX

• Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 04:24:34 am »
Yes, I noticed they said nothing about the weather, but I saw enough on the news to expect problems there. 

Yeah, thatís what I thought and expected to be the delay reason which is why it was odd not to be mentioned.

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 06:12:37 pm »

Simple - if they don't use electric heaters or hot-air blowers, they just heat the tracks with a toasty open fire: https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a26090529/rail-company-tracks-fire-chicago/
Thing is, the catenary, overhead power lines, are just hanging out there in the wind and weather.  OTOH, steps must be available as there's lots of similar trackage in the Northeast part of the USA.

Offline Pasoleati

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 01:30:24 pm »
Back in the old days steam n trains ran on schedule even in cold weather..

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 05:44:58 pm »
I got an email that my copy has been shipped.  I hope to have it within the next week.  I'm rather looking forward to receiving it.

Offline GTX

• Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 08:49:34 pm »
Ditto