Register here

Author Topic: Secret Wings of WWII: Nazi Technology and the Allied Arms Race - by Lance Cole  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Madoc

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
Hello all.

I just found this on Amazon.

Have any of you heard about it?  Or better yet, read it?

Thanks!

Secret Wings of WWII: Nazi Technology and the Allied Arms Race - by Lance Cole

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
I have read a friend's ebook copy. I thought it was terrible tin-foil hat conspiracy writing with drawings that looked like they were done by the author's eight year old child. Basically German designers invented everything up to and including the MiG-29, F-117 and B-2. By the same train of logic Leonardo da Vinci designed the UH-1 Huey.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 09:00:53 pm by PaulMM (Overscan) »
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Madoc

Paul.

Well then...

That was the sort of clear and succinct review I was hoping for - positive or negative.  I'll be to passing on it from Amazon then!

Thanks!

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
To be a little more precise:

Lance Cole loves flying wings. Any plane ever built that wasn't a flying wing is clearly substandard. All planes need to be judged on how closely they approach the ideal, "all-wing" design. The Germans invented this perfect shape, specifically the Horten Brothers, but unaccountably people still keep building non-flying wings, until recently, when the flying wing seems to be enjoying a renaissance. The only possible explanations are (1) everyone else (especially if British) was ignorant or racist and ignored the obvious superiority of the German flying wing design until recently or (2) conspiracy. Any post-war plane that wasn't a flying wing was still based on WW2 or earlier German designs, just not the best one. You can tell this because often the shape of a modern plane vaguely recalls a napkin sketch done by some hugely talented German person in 1945.

Lance Cole hates biplanes, and cannot understand why, after various early pioneer designs which were monoplanes, everyone settled on biplanes until speeds got higher, when monoplanes became standard.

Lance Cole loves Beverley Shenstone, because although he's Canadian, he studied in Germany with some  famous German people and clearly absorbed some of their awesome 'Germanity' which allowed him to help design cool planes like the Spitfire which was only awesome due to its elliptical wing (designed by Shenstone).

If you repeat these three for a long time in different ways, you get this book.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 12:51:51 am by PaulMM (Overscan) »
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline blackkite

• Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Thanks a lot. I ordered my copy.

Offline Flying Sorcerer

I think anything published by Pen & Sword should be regarded with the greatest caution - some of their books have pretty crummy.

Offline Artie Bob

• CLEARANCE: Secret
IMHO possibly the greatest travesty in recent aviation history is attributing the Horten brothers as the great pioneers of flying wings and ignoring the real hardware oriented advances made by Northrop.  As early as the 1920s, Northrop was investigating the flying wing configuration and his WWII era prototypes covered a wide range of configurations. The Horten brothers were indeed pioneers in Germany, but Northrop's pioneering work owes nothing to the Germans.  His flying wing efforts stands on their own merit and were only one area of achievement by this giant of aviation technological development.

Artie Bob

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
IMHO possibly the greatest travesty in recent aviation history...

It's of course subjective, but to my mind any accurate version of the sentence fragment above would include some reference to Die Glocke or flying saucers.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline XP67_Moonbat

The best sci-fi in the world talks about Die Glöcke and saucers! Eat your heart out, JJ Abrams!
In God we trust, all others we monitor. :-p

Offline Wurger

Can someone please ID the 3-view project depicted in the top cover? British or german?

Offline sienar

• CLEARANCE: Secret
I wish I had seen this thread before ordering this.

Lots of common myths repeated like the Tunnan and Mig-15 being Ta-183 knock offs and a large section about saucers/nazifos. The assertion that CIOS reports on the Hortens were biased against them and intentionally overly critical of their work. Oh and that the 262 must have been swept wing from the get go, because Willy wouldn't have started off with a straight wing design that was changed to swept.

But the most humorous line from what I've skimmed has to be this; "Of Alexander Lippisch we cannot deny that his 1930s delta and swept-wing experiments informed the Messerschmitt Me 163, and the Me 262." Yeah, I'd say his work 'informed' the 163 a bit....

Can someone please ID the 3-view project depicted in the top cover? British or german?

1938 B.S. Shenstone design

Offline Retrofit

1938 B.S. Shenstone design

Interesting tailless project! Thank you for sharing Sienar!
Is there more information available about this particular project, or other BS Shenstone tailless aircraft projects?
Slightly out off the "Bookshelf & marketplace" thread, Sorry