Register here

Author Topic: Fake aircraft and aircraft projects (Blacklist !)  (Read 22033 times)

Offline pometablava

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Fake aircraft and aircraft projects (Blacklist !)
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2018, 09:44:44 am »
In my opinion "fake" or possibly "fantasy" should be enough. That are popular words.
Everyone entering this forum is supposed to understand, at least, basic English.
I think there's no need to add an array of translations.

Offline dan_inbox

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2018, 11:57:50 pm »
I agree with Pometablava.
I would also suggest to use a watermark that is less invasive than your proposal.
I we obscure too much of the picture's subject then it misses the point. This is for reference, not pilorying/shaming. The pic must stay a usable reference.

Offline Rhinocrates

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2018, 01:01:42 am »
For what it's worth, I suggest "Speculative" as a diplomatic and flexible tag - "Fake" implies an intent to deceive and I'm sure that wasn't Ord-Humes' intention.
If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

Offline pometablava

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2018, 03:02:25 am »
Possible "fake" isn't the most precise term but I would suggest the use of "speculative" for those drawing trying to show an idea of real un built projects with no available official drawing

Offline robunos

• You're Mad, You Are.....
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2018, 08:58:58 am »
Just came across this . . .

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/609/Fairey-Vintech-Swordfish-Turbine-Conversion.aspx

It's bound to turn up here sooner or later . . .

cheers,
           Robin.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:08:52 am by robunos »
Where ARE the Daleks when you need them......

Offline Richard N

The Fairey-Vintech TurboFish is a P&W PT6 conversion of the venerable Fairey Swordfish.  The Vintage Wings of Canada Museum did this because of the poor serviceabality and impossible to find parts of the original Bristol Pegasus engine.  They had owned the Swordfish for 11 1/2 years and had magaged a pitiful 36 flight hours, most of that having been made on a flight to Oshkosh.

The change resulted in sparkling performance increases across all measures, especially hot and high climb and a 77 knot top speed increase, although new flutter analysis will have to be undertaken.

If you are in the market for a WWII vintage biplane that can now be serviced anywhere that maintains PT6s, the aircraft is for sale.

More information about the TurboFish is available here:  http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/609/Fairey-Vintech-Swordfish-Turbine-Conversion.aspx
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:03:26 pm by Jemiba »

Offline CJGibson

• Top Contributor
  • TAATH is coming...
You're six weeks too late.

Chris

Offline robunos

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 02:06:54 pm by robunos »

Offline robunos

« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2018, 02:06:13 pm »

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
The Fairey-Vintech TurboFish is a P&W PT6 conversion of the venerable Fairey Swordfish.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Richard N

This is a turboprop conversion and it is unbuilt.  This semantically could be the proper place for it.  Judging by the paucity of posts today, it was a way of livening up a slow Sunday afternoon.

The Blacklist.  That is an NBC drama starring James Spader as a master criminal who uses his underworld knowledge to help the Justice Department when it also furthers his own interests.

OBB, revealing so blatantly that this was an April Fools post is like standing in the theater at the beginning of the movie and telling everyone how it ends.  The intent was to let readers go to the link and have it revealed to them like the twist of a good joke.  Shame!

In my heart of hearts, I know with certainty that the Admiralty would have gone all in for this conversion.  With the extra speed and carrying capacity enabled by the PT6, the "Fish" could have zoomed their way back to the Ark Royal for a torpedo reload and come back to finish the Bismarck on the spot.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review

OBB, revealing so blatantly that this was an April Fools post is like standing in the theater at the beginning of the movie and telling everyone how it ends.  The intent was to let readers go to the link and have it revealed to them like the twist of a good joke.  Shame!

The shame comes in perpetrating hoaxes in a place intended as a historically accurate accounting of reality.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2018, 09:18:34 pm »
April Fools often are really funny and I don't think, that many of us would spoil them at the 1st, maybe not even
on the 2nd of April. But more than a month later ... ? I would still be commuting using a long diversion, because
we were told in the newspaper, that two lines of the suburban train aren't running through as usual, because
during maintenance works fossils of an still unknown species of mammoth were found ...

And though I can read Italian only via help of an online translator, I'm not sure, if this was just a continuation of
that joke, or if we really have a victim here:
https://www.vfraviation.it/notizie/fairey-swordfish-turboprop-oltraggio-o-nuova-vita/
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2018, 01:47:39 pm »
I must admit that Turbo-Fish prank was so excellently done that even I, a seasoned lover of (and once relentless perpetrator of) fake aircraft, could easily have fallen for it!