Register here

Author Topic: 'B-3' bomber from 'Broken Arrow' movie - Scott Lowther's model  (Read 16362 times)

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
    • Aerospace Projects Review
'B-3' bomber from 'Broken Arrow' movie - Scott Lowther's model
« on: September 14, 2007, 09:24:36 am »
one id planned but never managed to get around to was the 'B.3' from 'Broken Arrow'..definately a neat looking design which id love to see in model form someday...

What, you mean like this one?

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/B-3BomberCataloguePage.htm

Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Deino

• Our China Correspondent
  • Global Moderator
Re: 'B-3' bomber from 'Broken Arrow' movie - Scott Lowther's model
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 01:22:39 am »
Hey ... very nice ! CAn You tell anything about release date, price and especially its dimensions I don't know more about that "type" other than being slightly smaller than the B-2 ... so in 1/144 this would be ? ???

Thanks for posting, Deino
He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-------------------------------------------------
W.H.Auden (1945)

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 07:51:31 am »
Hey ... very nice ! CAn You tell anything about release date, price...

Nope. Not my department.

and especially its dimensions I don't know more about that "type" other than being slightly smaller than the B-2 ...

Actually... not so much.

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline CFE

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 07:36:55 pm »
Is this B-3 model based on an actual design study by one of the contractors, or is it conjectural?  In any event, it's a sweet-looking plane.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 08:53:29 pm »
Is this B-3 model based on an actual design study by one of the contractors, or is it conjectural?

Purely conjectural, on the part of the production designers and modelmakers for "Broken Arrow." And while the design has some aspects that I'd take issue with, it actually seems *reasonably* good for a transonic B-2-descendant. Certainly not a supercruiser though.

Offline fightingirish

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 02:08:06 am »

Skilled craftsmanship and a lot of special effects wizardry were employed in the design of the B-3 Stealth Bomber,an imaginary extension of the current Stealth model bomber, the B-2, modified by Gross to look even more sleek and mean on film.    
Since the Stealth is ultra-secret, the production received minimal cooperation from the military.   
Instead, Gross and visual effects supervisor Don Baker used their considerable skills and imagination to design a one-sixth scale miniature, measuring eighteen-feet long and fourteen-feet wide.
Source: http://www.foxhome.com/brokenarrow/html/efx1.htm
Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

McDonnell Douglas Model 225 painting by "The Artist" Michael Burke (Tavush) 2018, found at deviantart.com and at Secret Projects Forum » Research Topics » User Artwork » McDonnell Douglas Model 225 Painting

Online flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 10:18:02 am »
Shouldn't Scott now wait for BMW-style letter from FOX? )))
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 12:49:59 pm »
Just gotta make sure to not use "Fox" in any of the advertisements

Offline Kim Margosein

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 04:16:40 pm »
Are those B-2/B-3 drawings really in the same scale?  The cockpit of the B-3 looks larger although it seems the same shape.  My sense of the aircraft in the movie was that it was substantially smaller than a B-3.

However, the drawings and Scott's model layout help.  I have some odd-scale B-2 around somewhere I could probably hack up into a B-3 in 1/72.  Although then, what will I use for the 1/72 Northrop ATA? :'(

Kim M

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 07:10:36 pm »
Are those B-2/B-3 drawings really in the same scale? 

Roughly. The available information on the dimensions and scale of the model built for the movie conflicts. Look at the human figure in the B-3 drawing to help give soem scale... it's not a small plane. And as for the cockpit being big on the B-3... take a look at it as shown in the movie. It is, like too many Hollywood movies, quite open and spacious.

Offline Kim Margosein

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 02:39:33 pm »
AARGH  Per the comparison drawings, the B-3 is roughly 158' wingspan and 93' length.  Per the Fox website, the 1/6 scale  studio model is 14' wingspan and 18' length, making an 84' wingspan and 108' length.  This corresponds closer to Gross's drawings. 

I gotta get the movie to figure this out.  I tried downloading the clips from the Fox site but are postage stamp size. 

Kim M

Offline Lord Vader

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:21:03 pm »
Does anyone know the approximate dimensions of the hypothetical B-3 "Stealth Bomber" from the film "Broken Arrow?"  A resin kit was recently advertised on the "Fantastic Plastic" website, but without anything to scale the model.

Offline pacopepe

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 12:51:58 am »
Look the second topic in the page number 10 of this forum.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:37:27 am by pacopepe »

Offline Michel Van

I love Strange Technology

Offline ABU625

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 12:07:59 pm »
The Fantastic Plastic "Broken Arrow" B-3 is out!  Please visit the Fantastic Plastic Virtual Museum Store at http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/gift_shop.htm for complete information!