XM 701 MICV

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I have seen photos of a US Mechanised Infantry Combat Vehicle designed on the chassis of the M 107 pelf propelled gun. There seem to be two distinct versions, onw with a sharp and another with a boxy front. Does anyone have any drawings?

UK 75

There are, I believe some in Hunnicutt's "Bradley" but unfortunately my copy is presently on loan to my brother.

Hi,

In answer to your query: Hunnicutt deals with the XM-701 in detail in Bradley, pp. 274-277. He has 13 photos, but I'm not sure they are distinct enough to differentiate between hull types. Additionally, Hunnicutt makes no mention of differences amongst the five prototypes.

Hope this helps.

Ranger 6

I think there is a drawing of the XM701 in a book on Armoured
Fighting Vehicles by George Bradford which has useful silhouettes
for wargame counters. I have the book somewhere but as its a
softback and a funny size I cannot find it.

Hunnicut's book on the Bradley seems to be the only good source
of info on US MICV development. Jane's Weapons yearbooks from 1969 on offer a few glimpses of what was looked at between the XM 701 and the XM723 (the Bradley predecessor, I may have the number wrong).

If the US had not been embroiled in Vietnam might the US Army have
copied the German Marder MICV earlier.

uk 75,

Is this the boxy version? Can you post an image of the 'sharp' one?

Attachments

• xm-701.jpg
    xm-701.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 304
I will try and find the picture, though the Hunnicutt book is a large volume and I do not have a computer at home etc.

The picture you show looks amazingly like the Warrior MCV 80 early version.

UK 75

XM701, first prototype aka 'sharp-nosed'.

Jon

Attachments

• XM701_PROTOTYPE-1_01.png
    XM701_PROTOTYPE-1_01.png
    266.8 KB · Views: 328
Thanks Jon.

So, the 'sharp-nosed' prototype simply lacked the faceted forward hull edges of the 'boxy' version. The latter -- from a shot deflection (not to mention asthetic) point-of-view -- seems to be retrograde step.

I think you'll find the "boxy" bow was a flotation device designed to allow the vehicle to swim more effectively. As most of the weight was in the front, where the engine/transmission was, a large container of air (or more likely foam) was required to offset the relatively empty stern.

That makes sense. Despite being slab-sided, the original facet demarkation is still visible 'boxy' version. Not an issue if there is another layer of armour behind that foam and/or air space.

Only distantly related to MICV-65 and the XM701...

As we all know, only the XM723 Bradley prototype was built for the later, revised MICV project. But, Paccar and Chrysler had also made proposals during the RFP phase of that revised project. Does anyone know what vehicles those other 'paper' submissions were based on.