XC-Heavy Transport and Parasite/Missile carrier aircraft competition.

nugo

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
In 1951 Air Material Command (AMC) request for a proposal for an XC-Heavy Transport and Parasite/Missile carrier aircraft.

Firms participated:

1) Lockheed Model L-208-1...L-208-8
2) Boeing Model 497
and etc.

Nugo,

Thank you very much for the info!

Boeing Model 497 picture here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8036.0.html

That Boeing looks like a similar concept to Daimler Benz Projekt A

http://www.luft46.com/db/dbbomba.html

The Douglas entry was the Model 1240, a twin-fuselage design based on the wing of the Douglas Model 1211-J bomber proposal. Shown here is the Douglas 1240 concept model with various parasite aircraft, missiles and payloads. The high-speed penetration bomber component has three engines and no landing gear, as it was expected to return to its mother ship, politely loitering outside enemy airspace during the weapons delivery run.

Attachments

• Douglas 1240.jpg
    Douglas 1240.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 675
Here are the Lockheed L-208-5 and -7. The -8 version was to be a straight-winged -7, and was apparently the only iteration that met the requirements.

Attachments

• L-208-5.gif
    L-208-5.gif
    80.5 KB · Views: 523
  • L-208-7.gif
    L-208-7.gif
    91.3 KB · Views: 512
and for comparison here the Boeing Boeing Model 497 picture

Attachments

• Boeing Model 497.jpg
    Boeing Model 497.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,379
circle-5 said:
Shown here is the Douglas 1240 concept model
Are there nose air intakes or glazed noses? It seems there are jets in the fuselages of this twin-fuselage big plane: the two external jets may be not enough power.

These are four turboprops. The propellers are removed and sitting in front of the model, behind the landing gear. Wingspan and thrust centerlines are identical to those of the Douglas 1211 (B-52) bomber proposal. There is only one, asymmetrical canopy on the port fuselage.

Front view of the Douglas Model 1240 somehow reminds me of NASA Langley's 1974 Virtus project:

Attachments

• Langley Virtus 1974.jpg
    Langley Virtus 1974.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 440
Are there any three-views (or at least a side view) of the Boeing 497, and if so, can anyone here tell me where I might find one?

Chuck

Orionblamblam said:
circle-5 said:
These are four turboprops. The propellers are removed and sitting in front of the model, behind the landing gear.

Are the turboprops fore-and-aft on those wing pods, or were there props in the noses of the fuselages?

This photo shows the Douglas Model 1211-J bomber (top) from 1950 and the Douglas Model 1240 (bottom) from 1951. Note identical thrust centerlines. Props on the 1240 are all pullers, not contra-rotating. Model 1240 was configured like an oversized Fairchild XC-120 Pack-Plane.

Attachments

• Douglas 1211 & 1240 sml.jpg
    Douglas 1211 & 1240 sml.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 269
Hi All!

I looked at the list of projects of Martin Aircraft and there was no draft about XC-Heavy Transport and Parasite/Missile carrier aircraft proposal.
Means the firm Martin did not participate in the competition.

Remain firm Convair, Fairchild, North American and Republic.

Convair Model ? or Model 36 (his version)
Fairchild Model 1?? (maybe)
North American Model ? (maybe)
Republic Model AP-?? (maybe)

What do you say?

nugo said:
I looked at the list of projects of Martin Aircraft and there was no draft about XC-Heavy Transport and Parasite/Missile carrier aircraft proposal.
Means the firm Martin did not participate in the competition.

I certainly wouldn't jump to such hasty conclusions. Several programs by Martin do not seem to have received a Model designation (I say "seem" because there are obviously some gaps), a case in point being the COIN/LARA contender.

Tophe said:
circle-5 said:
Shown here is the Douglas 1240 concept model
Are there nose air intakes or glazed noses? It seems there are jets in the fuselages of this twin-fuselage big plane: the two external jets may be not enough power.

You might be right. It appears there was also a choice of powerplants between jets and perhaps turbo-props. I can't explain the present of the four sets of propellers otherwise.

My take on that is that the model is shown in a disassembled state, I imagine that it is solely turboprop powered. Note also the landing gear lying on the floor. I doubt that is an optional extra ;)

hole in the ground said:
My take on that is that the model is shown in a disassembled state, I imagine that it is solely turboprop powered. Note also the landing gear lying on the floor. I doubt that is an optional extra ;)

Hole in the ground, you are correct. Unlike the Model 1211-J, the 1240 had no turbojets, not even optional ones. Just four big turboprops. Look for a comprehensive monograph about this little-known competition and the Douglas Model 1240 in particular, due out sometime this year. This was a big, bold and ambitious program, even by the visionary standards of 1950s America.

. Look for a comprehensive monograph about this little-known competition and the Douglas Model 1240 in particular, due out sometime this year.
yipee !!!!

Sounds like very good news. Will there be info on the Models 1112 and 1155 as well?

Circle-5,

Do you have more information about
this upcoming publication?
Thanks in advance..

lark said:
Circle-5,

Do you have more information about
this upcoming publication?
Thanks in advance..

I can tell you the author is an SPF member. Beyond that I don't want to speak for him, especially with regard to a release date (it's sometime in 2010). However, y'all have been pleased with his past work, so start cutting back on your donations to the AIG executive bonus fund and be ready for this one!

circle-5 said:
However, y'all have been pleased with his past work, so start cutting back on your donations to the AIG executive bonus fund and be ready for this one!
Yeah, but the government gets grouchy when I don't pay my taxes; my not being in one of their favored classes, professions, or industries.

Hi All!

Yes it is very good. I also request a copy.

Friend Stargazer2006,yes, you may be telling the truth.
I think that the firm Republic Aviation also participated in the competition with his Model AP-60.

[link no longer active]

...may be a model of a proposed "parasite" cruise missile that would have been carried by a proposed Convair Nuclear bomber. It has no identifying marks but has an attachment on the top to fit on to a larger mother model. It measures about 6" in length and is of metal construction and is in excellent condition.

[link no longer active]

This is a model of a proposed "parasite" fighter that would have been carried by a proposed Convair Nuclear bomber. Very similar in design to the XF-92. It has no identifying marks but has an attachment on the top to fit on to a larger mother model. It measures about 5" in length and is of metal construction and is in excellent condition.

[link no longer active]

This is a model of a proposed "parasite" fighter that would have been carried by a proposed Convair Nuclear bomber. Very similar in design to the F4D Skyray. It has no identifying marks but has an attachment on the top to fit on to a larger mother model. It measures about 5" in length and is of metal construction and is in excellent condition.

Attachments

• !B7jjDhg!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKjIEzKC8V8z2BM0g+uZhbg~~_12.JPG
    !B7jjDhg!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKjIEzKC8V8z2BM0g+uZhbg~~_12.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 330
  • !B7jiUS!!mk~$(KGrHqQOKk!EzLFKm6t-BM0g9PeZrw~~_12.JPG
    !B7jiUS!!mk~$(KGrHqQOKk!EzLFKm6t-BM0g9PeZrw~~_12.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 313
  • !B7jgiB!EWk~$(KGrHqQOKm8Ey0pzi46QBM0g3i82kQ~~_12.JPG
    !B7jgiB!EWk~$(KGrHqQOKm8Ey0pzi46QBM0g3i82kQ~~_12.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 324
  • !B2fNhL!CGk~$(KGrHqN,!g8E)761Mi,-BMitrU,H9Q~~_12.JPG
    !B2fNhL!CGk~$(KGrHqN,!g8E)761Mi,-BMitrU,H9Q~~_12.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 407
Don't forget the fuel tanks...

[link no longer active]

These actually seem to be identical to the accessories from the Douglas Model 1211-J model owned by John Aldaz as seen in American Aerospace Archive 5 - MOTHER SHIPS, PARASITES & MORE: Selected USAF Strategic Bomber, XC Heavy Transport and FICON Studies, 1945-1954

Northrop XSSM-A-3 Snark missile
Convair XF-92A parasite fighter
Douglas XF4D-1 Skyray parasite fighter
Droppable fuel tanks

Move over, White Knight II. Here comes the Douglas Model 1252, with over 50 years' head start! Shown here as a launch platform for the Navaho intercontinental missile, from North American Aviation.

Note the astro-inertial navigation system window on top of the Navaho.

Also attached is a model photo of the larger, swept-wing Douglas Model 1240, for comparison.

Attachments

• Douglas 1252 w:Navaho.jpg
    Douglas 1252 w:Navaho.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 342
  • Douglas 1240 w:RF-84F.jpg
    Douglas 1240 w:RF-84F.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 273
I was reading the book Secret US Proposals of the Cold War and on page 61 it mentions that one Model 1240 iteration had a wingspan of 347 feet and gross weight of 977,000 pounds. I'd be curious to see drawings of this monster iteration, given that the 347-foot span proposal had a span almost as big as today's Stratolaunch.

From Le Fana Horse 50.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    595.4 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom