XC-120 Packplane & YC-119H Skyvan

sdbeck

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hello, I'm putting a book together on the C-119 and am wondering if anyone has any
public domain / USAF / Fairchild photos of the XC-120 and YC-119H?
The stills must be free use or permission granted if private stills and hi-res jpgs (300dpi or higher).

The USAF Museum in Ohio no longer do photo requests.
National Archives lack resources and staff.

Thank you

I wish you luck with your book sdbeck.

Will be facilitated to see what you can derive about the YC-119H.
Do you think your book will include anything about the four-engine C-119 studies/proposals?

Note, the attached picture seems a little odd, as I think the centre of the advert might be a little skewiff...

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230809-211530_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230809-211530_Chrome.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Starting in 1953, the Royal Canadian Air Force bought 35 C-119F Flying Boxcars. They were later upgraded to C-119G configuration with large nose radomes.
They were part-way into a second major overhaul when the Chief of Defense Staff told the RCAF to quit that foolishness and buy C-130 Hercules. The Canadian Armed Forces perpetually suffer difficulties in asking Parliament to buy new equipment, but they can always "magically" find more money to overhaul old airframes.
There was also a rumor of a proposal to re-engine C-119s with turbo-prop engines.
Finally, look at the C-119s that were retrofitted by jet booster engines by various civilian operators.
After retiring from military service, many C-119s continued to haul cargo and douse wildfires.

You might wish to take a look at "American Secret Projects 2: US Airlifters 1941-1961" by Cox and Kaston where a significant amount of work was done outlining Fairchild C-119/C-120 derivatives as well as the Stroukoff/Fairchild C-123/C-134 aircraft.

Thank you
National Archives are a must if your book is to be a serious effort: however you may have misinterpreted their response. National Archives are alive, kicking and open as normal, but they don't do research themselves (they never have in my experience). Instead you will need to engage a private researcher to do the work remotely for you. The National Archives website lists researchers by speciality and I've used a number for aircraft projects in the past and up to the present. All have been great value in my experience.

Do you think your book will include anything about the four-engine C-119 studies/proposals?

Note, the attached picture seems a little odd, as I think the centre of the advert might be a little skewiff...

Regards
Pioneer
Hi there, no room for the more obscure C-119 projects I had to cut the text back by 25,000 words. I am familar with the proposals for the four engined version and the turbo prop version.

Hello, I'm putting a book together on the C-119 and am wondering if anyone has any
public domain / USAF / Fairchild photos of the XC-120 and YC-119H?
The stills must be free use or permission granted if private stills and hi-res jpgs (300dpi or higher).

The USAF Museum in Ohio no longer do photo requests.

Thank you
It is true that on the web the information about the XC-119H is not legion ... I made this comparison C-119/ XC-119H with my nose for a 1/20 or 1/24 construction for two electric motors. This plan is probably not worth much but I deliver it with pleasure totally royalty free.

1692101116223.jpeg

Regards
Pioneer
I've tryed ti rectify that picture ... Here is the result ...

Attachments

• 4 engined C-119H BIS.jpg
    4 engined C-119H BIS.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 54
Hi there, no room for the more obscure C-119 projects I had to cut the text back by 25,000 words. I am familar with the proposals for the four engined version and the turbo prop version.
Too bad ... I shed many tears because the most daring or the craziest projects are the most sources of dream !..