XB-70 Operational Variants

XP67_Moonbat

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Here you go you, folks! Looking for art of the Convair shuttle for Orion and I found this. It's a good imagining of many uses for the XB-70 IF it hadn't stayed a prototype. Enjoy! ;D

http://www.edwardsflighttest.com/b70.html

:D Yeah. But I thought the all-black and Thunderbird versions loooked pretty sick. Very nice indeed!

Moonbat

I don't think the Space Shuttle carrier would be feasible, really. The Shuttle has all the aerodynamics of a school bus, and it's more likely the DynaSoar or TAV would have been developed had the Valk gone into service. I can easily see the wall of superheated air piling up in front of the Shuttle on the Valk's back, likely causing burnthrough of the upper surface of the aircraft. Ouch.

Interesting ... and funny too !

My most favourite is this one ... any idea what possible weapon would be realistic fur such a period ?? ... maybe the SARAM-2

Deino

Attachments

• B-70A Valkyrie MO.jpg
    B-70A Valkyrie MO.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 483
dannydale said:
I don't think the Space Shuttle carrier would be feasible, really. The Shuttle has all the aerodynamics of a school bus, and it's more likely the DynaSoar or TAV would have been developed had the Valk gone into service. I can easily see the wall of superheated air piling up in front of the Shuttle on the Valk's back, likely causing burnthrough of the upper surface of the aircraft. Ouch.

Why so serious?

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

EDITED with another pic, just because, if nothing else, I felt like it.

EDITED with another pic, because mwajhafaiupasfdfrumph, and as an attachment this time.

Attachments

• Serious-Cat-Joker.jpg
    Serious-Cat-Joker.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 310
Just call me Ray said:
dannydale said:

Why so serious?

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

EDITED with another pic, just because, if nothing else, I felt like it.

EDITED with another pic, because mwajhafaiupasfdfrumph, and as an attachment this time.
LOL. I didn't see the joke status until after I posted. :D

Be nice if Landis did some artwork of the XB-70 RBSS. We've all seen the artwork of an X-15 on the Valkyrie's back. But what about some the other boosters planned for that concept? All we have to go on is this link but no art.

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/rbss.htm

XP67_Moonbat said:
Be nice if Landis did some artwork of the XB-70 RBSS. We've all seen the artwork of an X-15 on the Valkyrie's back. But what about some the other boosters planned for that concept? All we have to go on is this link but no art.

See, now, if you had subscribed to APR back in the day, you'd have the article showing the X-20 launching B-70....

XP67_Moonbat said:

Doesn't Steve Pace's XB-70 book have an RBSS drawing?
I'll look when I get home.

Orionblamblam said:
shockonlip said:
Doesn't Steve Pace's XB-70 book have an RBSS drawing?

First edition has some RBSS art.

I have the Second Edition, First Printing, c1990, and it is in there as well, pg. 24.
Caption says: "Proposed B-70 RBS (recoverable booster system). Note its X-20 Dyna Soar-type vehicle. (courtesy Rockwell)"

The top part of the image from Pace's book has been posted online at:
http://www.strange-mecha.com/aircraft/Prototype/USAF-PB1.htm
at the very bottom. So you can at least see some of it.

Is there really a problem with posting the image here?
Don't people do that with other book images?

I've seen another picture of it elsewhere. If I recall I'll post the info.

There's also a less detailed early image of the B-70 carying it
ala B-70 RBS, but without the shroud, in the last chapter of:
"Ninety Seconds To Space" by Jules Bergman, c1960. It is credited
to Aviation Week but there is no ref. info.

Indeed Scott's APR Vol 3, No 3 May-June, 2001 has a nice article.
Including some illustrations of the different shrouds including the
shroud drawn in the Pace book, with cross section stations.

The APR Issue references a forthcoming Dyna Soar book and indicates
that the APR piece is a small excerpt from that book. Maybe Scott
can indciate the title/author for us.

Larry

XP67_Moonbat said:
I may have to see if B&N can order it. Haha.

There are around 10 copies of the edition I have for sale at mostly reasonable prices
on Amazon.

Larry