XB-52 competition

RyanCrierie

Crazy Researcher
Reaction score
Website
www.alternatewars.com
Skybolt said:
A chart describing the three original proposals for the 1945 Hevy Bombardment Aircraft competition of 1945.
Ranking was:

#1 Boeing won with 846 points
#2 Martin with 824 points
#3 Convair with 748 points

lark

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
It must be noted that the Fairchild M-128 project
was inteded for a US Navy competition and not for the B-52 one..

Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
There's more info on the Fairchild 121 in American Secret Projects: Bombers, Attack, and Anti-Submarine Aircraft 1945-1974.

TomS

Reaction score
This is a Douglas Model D-1211J, one of competitor.
I'm taking that the US got an eye on the Russian's Bear bomber......
Timing doesn't support that. Earlier in this thread we have a January 1951 magazine article on this design, which describes it as being a year old at that point, so the design is c. 1950. The requirement that led to the Tu-95 was issued in 1950 and the design approved in July 1951, so design work was happening in 1950-51, the exact same time that the Douglas design was being developed. It seems very unlikely that the Douglas designers were aware of the Tupolev aircraft's configuration at that time. It's probably a case of parallel requirements using similar technology bases coming up with similar designs.

taildragger

You can count on me - I won a contest
Reaction score
I'd bet that if the Fairchild approach had progressed much further, the anticipated cost of throwing away what are effectively full-sized wings (and the cost of cleaning up their impact sites) would have inspired the development of a fly-back version, at least for training flights. Even Gen. Lemay had a budget.

edwest

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Timing doesn't support that. Earlier in this thread we have a January 1951 magazine article on this design, which describes it as being a year old at that point, so the design is c. 1950. The requirement that led to the Tu-95 was issued in 1950 and the design approved in July 1951, so design work was happening in 1950-51, the exact same time that the Douglas design was being developed. It seems very unlikely that the Douglas designers were aware of the Tupolev aircraft's configuration at that time. It's probably a case of parallel requirements using similar technology bases coming up with similar designs.

No one knows that. But yes, a lot of designs and prototypes existed earlier than popular history tells us. The British and the Americans began their spy overflights in 1946. How much of that is declassified?

TomS

Reaction score

No one knows that. But yes, a lot of designs and prototypes existed earlier than popular history tells us. The British and the Americans began their spy overflights in 1946. How much of that is declassified?
I'm not at all sure how this is relevant to what I wrote.