Wunderwaffen models from movie scenes "Battle of the Bulge" 1965.

klem

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Wunderwaffen models from the movie scenes "Battle of the Bulge" 1965. Look at the rocket in picture 1, the hanging missile and jet . Pictures 3-4-5-6 . Hollywood imagination or did the model makers base their work on something?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 128
First picture: A9/A10
Second picture: V1 and A4/V2
Third picture and following ones: unknown jet (it seems more reminiscent of a Caproni-Campini rather a German aircraft), an unidentified missile model hanging (inspired by A3?)...

The jet plane hanging from the ceiling is pretty similar to the Heinkel He 178, which was the first jet plane ever to fly, not long before WWII started. Although it differs in detail, it might be based on that, or on a number of subsequent design studies by several of the German aircraft companies.

The thing almost underneath it with the piggy-back engine is a variation on the V-1 flying bomb, perhaps from a genuine design study I don't know. The one near the V-2/A4 rocket looks more like the production beast.

There looks to be more stuff behind the bald bloke in No.5, possibly including another He178 type.

Last edited:
The jet plane seems to have wing root intakes, looks vaguely late 40s/very early 50s in style.

To me it looks more like the studio rang up the prop shop "we need some missiles and a jet aircraft" and got some generic stuff back. Even the V-1 doesn't look accurate. The tank I assume in an M-47/M-49, again no idea exactly how accurate it is. They couldn't even get a genuine Grasshoper for Lt. Col Kiley to fly around in, instead he gets a Bird Dog.

The jet plane seems to have wing root intakes, looks vaguely late 40s/very early 50s in style.
I honestly don't see that. In Shot 5 the bare straight-through leading-edge root is clearly visible.
Rather, the flat nose is a dead giveaway for a jet air intake.

I honestly don't see that. In Shot 5 the bare straight-through leading-edge root is clearly visible.
Rather, the flat nose is a dead giveaway for a jet air intake.
My bad, I saw the brighter spec and thought it was the side of an intake, actually its probably a boundary layer fence or possible meant to be a cannon.
From some angles it looks vaguely F-84ish but again doesn't quite fit the bill for accuracy, especially around the tail layout.

Attachments

• 002.png
    002.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 129
For the model that looks like the caproni I would say that maybe it is an inspiration of that.

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 131

To me it looks more like the studio rang up the prop shop "we need some missiles and a jet aircraft" and got some generic stuff back. Even the V-1 doesn't look accurate. The tank I assume in an M-47/M-49, again no idea exactly how accurate it is. They couldn't even get a genuine Grasshoper for Lt. Col Kiley to fly around in, instead he gets a Bird Dog.
Since they used M-48s in the movie for the German tanks, would make sense to have a model of the same.

Now if they had only cranked out a hundred or so Tigers as the T-34 was modified to look like in "Kelly's Heroes"! As a kid, I thought it was a real Tiger....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

But they got the flying saucer right! Exactly like the real nazi flying saucer, it is just a lamp!

Otherwise I agree with Hood. Most likely just V1, V2 and a bunch of generic stuff from the prop shop not really inspired by anything.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 118
  • George_Adamski_ship_1.jpg
    George_Adamski_ship_1.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 123
It must be admitted that the making of a movie plays on the time to minimize the expenses, so without looking too hard they do with the means at hand, using what is within their reach in the existing documentation such as illustrations of the war years including pictures of V2 like the unidentified missile model hanging.

Attachments

• v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 106
  • -v2.jpg
    -v2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 102
(Certain George Adamski published long time ago a picture of a supposed nazi flying saucer. His book about it was a massive succes. This "Haunebu II" even had its official Revell plastic kit. Altough there were sceptics. Mostly because the saucer had a General electric logo on it. And because it was a photo of an electric lamp.)

Since they used M-48s in the movie for the German tanks, would make sense to have a model of the same.

Now if they had only cranked out a hundred or so Tigers as the T-34 was modified to look like in "Kelly's Heroes"! As a kid, I thought it was a real Tiger....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Yes, the curved, cast turret distinguishes it from German WW2 tanks. German WW2 tanks all had multiple flat plates welded together, creating a more angular shape.

(Certain George Adamski published long time ago a picture of a supposed nazi flying saucer. His book about it was a massive succes. This "Haunebu II" even had its official Revell plastic kit. Altough there were sceptics. Mostly because the saucer had a General electric logo on it. And because it was a photo of an electric lamp.)

Actually it was the lid of a soft drinks cooler in the soda fountain where he worked.

Nice to see the old lid being wired up and repurposed. ;)

Adamsky saucer was a vacuum cleaner of the time, some time ago I could see a photograph in a catalog.

Adamsky saucer was a vacuum cleaner of the time, some time ago I could see a photograph in a catalog.
Actually a surgical lamp, those bulges below are General Electric lightbulbs.

Attachments

• BxC7UPBCQAAEZff.jpg
    BxC7UPBCQAAEZff.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 148
Actually a surgical lamp, those bulges below are General Electric lightbulbs.

There have been many claims... a lamp, the top of a water heater, a chicken brooder... but nobody ever seems to produce a good, clear photo of the thing Adamski based his photo on. You photo looks promising, but the resolution is poor. What would be great is a reference to a catalog item for that lamp.

But they got the flying saucer right! Exactly like the real nazi flying saucer, it is just a lamp!

Otherwise I agree with Hood. Most likely just V1, V2 and a bunch of generic stuff from the prop shop not really inspired by anything.
I think the Adamski saucer was the top of a water heater.

I think the Adamski saucer was the top of a water heater.
Or the top of a beer cooler....