World war one prototype, cancelled or unbuilt dreadnoughts

Object-911

ACCESS: Restricted
Joined
12 March 2025
Messages
14
Reaction score
14
Hello I'm looking for world war one dreadnoughts that were prototypes, cancelled or unbuild ships that never left the drawing board. I dont mind what nation and if possible could you provide images and i dont mind if you cant find any. I would like to learn more about these kinds of ships especially ones that were not finished.
 
That would be a way too large a list.
Check my excel file, that would be easier than I gather all the numerous preliminary designs of actual ship classes that were built or not built, including export ones.
https://www.deviantart.com/tzoli/art/Excel-Database-of-Warships-of-the-World-542952468

For example the Royal Navy alone (Including the Admiralty, Vickers and Armstrong designs) had a minimum of 39 BATTLESHIP designs (Not counting battlecruisers) and these are only the ones offered between 1914 and 1918
 
Thanks for pointing me there and i will have a look
That would be a way too large a list.
Check my excel file, that would be easier than I gather all the numerous preliminary designs of actual ship classes that were built or not built, including export ones.
https://www.deviantart.com/tzoli/art/Excel-Database-of-Warships-of-the-World-542952468

For example the Royal Navy alone (Including the Admiralty, Vickers and Armstrong designs) had a minimum of 39 BATTLESHIP designs (Not counting battlecruisers) and these are only the ones offered between 1914 and 1918
 
Hello I'm looking for world war one dreadnoughts that were prototypes
Not really a thing with naval construction. If it's going to take four years to get the prototype in the water and another year for trials, then production ships are nine years away from being operational, by which time they'll be obsolete.
 
Hello I'm looking for world war one dreadnoughts that were prototypes, cancelled or unbuild ships that never left the drawing board. I dont mind what nation and if possible could you provide images and i dont mind if you cant find any. I would like to learn more about these kinds of ships especially ones that were not finished.

I suppose you could start with the Tillman Battleships, or HMS Incomparable. Or maybe the Brazilian battleship Riachuelo. Maybe the Greek battleship Salamis.

But as others have pointed out, there are tons of "never built" dreadnoughts from that era.

DRW
 
Hello I'm looking for world war one dreadnoughts that were prototypes, cancelled or unbuild ships that never left the drawing board. I dont mind what nation and if possible could you provide images and i dont mind if you cant find any. I would like to learn more about these kinds of ships especially ones that were not finished.
http://www.gwpda.org/naval/irn16bb.htm
here's a decent source, it's about the last project battleships of the Russian empire before their revolution in 1917

There's also plenty more information about those in russian, but that would have to be translated of course

image of one of the battleships from the Putilov shipyard in St Petersburg which was made with the help of German engineers, which blended German and Russian battleship practices into something unique and powerful (but also too expensive for wartime russia)
This one in particular would be the 7th battleship in the series, with 4 triple 406mm/52 [note: Russian barrel lengths for guns are measured overall, just like in germany, rather than as bore length like the rest of the world. So 406mm/52 is more like 406mm/49-50] and a very heavy secondary armament of 24 x 150mm guns
1785161853466.png
and here is what was sketched for the 406mm/45 triple turret which was under development in 1914
1785162640233.png
 

Similar threads

Back
Top Bottom