Who wants to make some Project Orion artwork???

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
I'm plugging away on part one of my Orion article series and I realized that I don't have any good cover artwork for the issue. Anybody hereabouts interested in creating some art? It'll be of the very earliest conception of Orion (similar in design to the artwork shown below), and does not need to be complex or very detailed. 3-D modelling, Paint Shop, oils, watercolors, *fingerpaint* if you can do it well, doesn't matter a whole lot... just so it's eye-catching.

The deadline on this would be just a few weeks, so obviously it can't and shouldn't be an involved piece. And as always... I can offer free advertising and free issues as compensation, but not a lot more. I'll send more info to whoever would like to do the artwork.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 139
Are the later NASA/USAF versions going to be in the next issue instead of this one?

sferrin said:
Are the later NASA/USAF versions going to be in the next issue instead of this one?

V1N4 covers early development. V1N5 will cover the USAF/NASA 10-meter designs. Further articles down the road will cover lunar logistics versions, 20-meter versions, large orions and Orion descendants.

Do you mind Scott that even the well described "Micheal" from the little (at least for me) masterpiece novel "Footfall" (written by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, the same couple of "The Mote in God's Eye") could considered as an Orion "descendant"??

archipeppe said:
Do you mind Scott that even the well described "Micheal" from the little (at least for me) masterpiece novel "Footfall" (written by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, the same couple of "The Mote in God's Eye") could considered as an Orion "descendant"??

You mean this:

http://www.up-ship.com/apr/michael.htm

;D

Ooh, I'm looking forward to that, Scott!

Incidentally, I uploaded a BBC4 documentary on Project Orion called 'To Mars by A-bomb' to a site called Stage6 a while ago:
http://www.stage6.com/user/McTodd/video/1884127/To-Mars-By-A-Bomb

Right-click on the right-hand symbol in the centre of the image to download straight to your HD. Quality isn't great as it's a divx conversion of a VHS recording I made off-air, though I have a better copy now (in 16:9 format) which I haven't yet uploaded.

Also, you'll find another space-related documentary I uploaded, 'The British Space Race' (also taped off BBC4):
http://www.stage6.com/user/McTodd/video/1883162/The-British-Space-Race

To my knowledge, neither documentary has ever been released commercially in any format.

archipeppe said:

Could be. It was always my plan that an Orion *book* would dealve into fictional Orions, b ut let's face it, most of those are crap. I might or might not include such fictional designs in the article series. I've always tried to keep fiction out of APR as much as possible... it's easy to blow a hard-earned reputation for accuracy if you toss out non-factual stuff, even if you are very clear that it's non-factual. Too far down the line to decide right now.

Some fictional Orions:
"Footfall" novel
"Orion Shall Rise" novel
"Deep Impact" movie (and not really an Orion)
"2001" Movie (early concept for Discovery)

An idea that's occured to me is that a special cover for this issue of APR might be in order not just cover art, but an *entire* cover, done in a wholly different style. The usual APR cover is fairly straightforward, with the artwork - usually something I just slapped together - taking up the middle part of it. But in this case, I think it'd be neat to have a cover done in the style of 1930's science fiction "pulps" or of 1930's popular science magazines. Something like this:

lrg_cover.jpg

Or this:
65-1.jpg

From: http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/astounding-stories/65-1.jpg

The title would still be APR, the other articles would get referenced, and the Orion design would remain faithful... just dramatised, and with the magazine title itself turned into this sort of over-wrought 1930's enthusiasm. Thoughts? Anybody interested in tackling that sort of concept?

McTodd said:
Right-click on the right-hand symbol in the centre of the image to download straight to your HD.

I currently have it downloading. But there's no file extension. What should the extension be for this?

I also recommend: Code Name Project Orion
http://www.amazon.com/History-Undercover-Project-Orion-Channel/dp/B000F6ZDA6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1199925514&sr=8-4

Doesn't really have much in the way of technical details on the proposed Orion vehicles, but it's got oodles of clips of the Putt-Putt vehicles in flight.

The file extension should be .avi

Or possibly .divx

Ostensibly, the files on Stage6 are all divx files, but sometimes they appear as divx when I download them, but more often they have no file extension and play fine anyway. See how it goes when it finishes downloading, any problems just post here or PM me (though I'm off to bed soon, it's late here).

At some point, I intend to upload a better version of the film, but the uploading and 'publishing' process on Stage6 can be staggeringly tedious and protracted, which rather puts me off...

McTodd said:
The file extension should be .avi

OK, next dumbass question: now that it's downloaded, how do I play it? Added the .avi extension and it plays fine in wondows media palyer... the audio, at any rate. No video. I had to download the divx software from the site you listed, but that only seems to make it playable as a streaming online video, can't get it to play the video I downloaded.

That is very weird, I've never had that happen to me...

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to suggest you download Videolan's VLC, a free video-player:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I use it for playing pretty well all my video files, it can play DVDs, and it also allows you do make easy-peasy screengrabs from DVDs (and any other file it plays) by pressing the following keys simultaneously: Ctrl-Alt-S

Give it a whirl - I have to go to bed now, I've ended up staying up incredibly late and I can barely type, but I'll check in here again when I get to work...

for the Video Problem
Scott forget WMP, take VLC
I save movie as DIVX file and its run perfect with VLC

to Orion Art
here my Color sketch of Orion ground take off
in stile of science fiction "pulps"

Mixmedia: Color Marker, Sky by Photoshop.

Attachments

• Orion001.jpg
    Orion001.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 121
Here next one

concept study for color Illustration
and Cartoon show a shock JFK (baffled McNamara) with General Powers
as USAF present the ORION Battleship Model ;D

So Scott wat from concept you wat as color Illustration

Attachments

• Orion002.png
    Orion002.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 101
i can made left as pulp in short time
the right as real would take more time.

Decided yesterday to take a crack at painting. Since I haven't actually tried to paint something since grade school, lo these many decades past, I expected it to be utter crap. And I probably wasn't too far off.

I've yet to do the lettering, but "Aerospace Projects Review" will be done in the same format as "Astounding Stories of Super Science."

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 3-1.jpg
    3-1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 60
  • cover art test small.jpg
    cover art test small.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 75