• Total voters

airman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
zeef.com
Sincerely i like all around period 1914 - 1945 : aircraft , warships and tanks,
but projects of all -time are very fascinating ! :D

Picking a real preference is difficult, but for me, if I'm honest it would be the aircraft from the 1920-1950 period. The changes that happened during those thirty odd years, from wood and canvas biplanes to all metal supersonic aircraft being such a rich source of study. I also have to admit that space travel and exploration, does not interest me in any way.

Cheers Bailey.

Justo Miranda said:
spacecraft and project connected to these

I've loved this picture since I first saw it back in my early teens. This was painted by Ed Valigursky - for Doubleday's Science Fiction Book Club and used in one of their monthly fliers. According to Infinite Worlds: The Fantastic Visions of Science Fiction Art, The Wonderland Press, 1997(?), page 57, this work was used to promote the club's release of Ben Bova's anthology The Many Worlds of Science Fiction, 1971. Another Valigursky work from the book club is shown on page 293 and I clearly remember the story that one illustrates - The Cruel Equations by Robert Sheckley in his collection Can You Feel Anything When I Do This? This work, set at the base of a three-finned tail-sitter, shows a robot holding a human at gunpoint.

Now. To respond to the topic of this thread. I can't narrow it down to any one period. The Sikorsky S-38 commands as much respect from me as does the YF-17.

This work, set at the base of a three-finned tail-sitter, shows a robot holding a human at gunpoint.

I have found two... :)

Attachments

• Escanear0068.jpg
    Escanear0068.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Escanear0158.jpg
    Escanear0158.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 28
Justo Miranda said:
This work, set at the base of a three-finned tail-sitter, shows a robot holding a human at gunpoint.

I have found two... :)

The top one - the blue one - is the image I was talking about. I was going to scan the image to post but I see you've found a copy.

The robot in this story is not constrained by Asimov's Three Laws but in a way this story would have fit nicely into Asimov's storyverse. The man is a member of that ship's crew and the robot does recognize him and converses with him, but the robot cannot let him pass because he has not given the current password. He had gone out for a walk - to spend some time off the ship - and he had either forgotten to check the rotation of passwords or he had been away longer than he had expected. (I've got to track down a copy of that story and read it again.) Anyway while trying not to give away too much, let me just say that he manages to figure out a way to work within the robot's constraints to resolve the situation and in doing so leaves the robot totally confused.