What post-war twins were available as floatplanes?

Kiltonge

Greetings Earthling
Reaction score
The only twins that I can think of which offered floats as an option were the Do-28 and Twin Otter. Surely there were others... and anything bigger than a Twotter?

Thanks!

In Canada Beech 18s on floats were quite common, including post war built aircraft. There are still a few around. Bristol Aircraft in Winnipeg made the transition from military to civil production making these floats.

Depending on your definition of "post war", several ex RCAF Cranes (Cessna Bobcat to the yanks) wound up on floats. Like most post war Cranes, they dissolved in the Canadian weather over a few years.

Canadian Aircraft Products, who made Twotter floats in Richmond, BC used to have a very nice model in their lobby of a Dash 7 on floats, but it never made it past the model stage.

In immediate post war Canada if you needed a larger seaplane you used surplus Cansos, Geese, Widgeons, etc. These handled much better on the water than big float planes. By the time these wore out every remote community in Canada had a big enough runway for things like a Dakota, an Avro 748, a Convairliner, etc.

This one could fit the bill.
Also, both the OV-10 Bronco and the Convair Charger were offered in floatplane configuration, with the former reaching the mockup stage.

The good old DC-3 was used on floats, too, although just on a handful of examples, I think.

As far as I remember, one C-47 was tested on floats during the war, but only briefly. The same set of floats was restored recently and flown on another aircraft on the airshow circuit. I'm not aware of any operational use of a DC-3/C-47 on floats, military or civil.

Yes, correct, I was more regarding to Kiltonges questions about ".. offered floats as an option.".

Dc-3 C-47 on floats

Attachments

• float5.jpg
    float5.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 0XC47C.jpg
    0XC47C.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 84