Q: Single Throttle for twin (or more) engines?

famvburg

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
While this pertains to the fictional Firefox from the movie of the same title back in '82, I'm wondering if there's anything to it. In the movie, it looks pretty clear to me anyway that it has only one throttle, yet is obviously a twin engined design, even in the novel. It's been a while since I read the novel, but I watch the movie all the time, mainly for a project I have lately. I did a bit of surfing & found a few references to some boats that are powered by twin engines yet have only one throttle, mechanically synched to both engines. I also recall back in the '80s or '90s prior to the Dassault Rafael being rolled out, a blurb in a fairly respectable aviation mag mentioning that it wasn't known whether it had only one throttle even tho it was a twin jet. I'm assuming it has two throttles. I would think that with all the computerization available, it wouldn't be completely impossible to do that, tho other than better synching of power, it would be worthwhile, but I can't see where a computer couldn't synch both engines with two throttles regardless.