WASR-2 5.45×39mm Semi-Automatic Rifle with AKM Slant Cut Compensator

Christopher Wang

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I found these online photos of a rare WASR-2 5.45×39mm semi-automatic rifle with an AKM slant cut compensator from a page on GunBroker.com which has since become unavailable ( https://www.gunbroker.com/item/905261729 ).
WASR-2 (1).jpg
WASR-2 (2).jpg

The WASR-2 is a semi-automatic rifle version of the Romanian PA md. 86, which was developed from the Soviet / Russian AK-74. Most online photos of the WASR-2 depict it with an AK-47 muzzle thread protector. It was a stroke of luck that I managed to find these rare pictures of an AK-style 5.45×39mm assault rifle fitted with an AKM slant cut compensator.

That got me thinking: Has the AK-74 ever been tested with an AKM slant cut compensator before it was ultimately issued with its distinctive standard-issue muzzle brake?

Is it possible to fit an AK-74 with an AKM slant cut compensator?

Can anyone else find other photos of an AK-74, WASR-2, or other 5.45×39mm AK rifles fitted with an AKM slant cut compensator?

I found these online photos of a rare WASR-2 5.45×39mm semi-automatic rifle with an AKM slant cut compensator from a page on GunBroker.com which has since become unavailable ( https://www.gunbroker.com/item/905261729 ).
View attachment 680516
View attachment 680517

The WASR-2 is a semi-automatic rifle version of the Romanian PA md. 86, which was developed from the Soviet / Russian AK-74. Most online photos of the WASR-2 depict it with an AK-47 muzzle thread protector. It was a stroke of luck that I managed to find these rare pictures of an AK-style 5.45×39mm assault rifle fitted with an AKM slant cut compensator.

That got me thinking: Has the AK-74 ever been tested with an AKM slant cut compensator before it was ultimately issued with its distinctive standard-issue muzzle brake?

Is it possible to fit an AK-74 with an AKM slant cut compensator?

Can anyone else find other photos of an AK-74, WASR-2, or other 5.45×39mm AK rifles fitted with an AKM slant cut compensator?
Yes it has remember the ORIGINAL concept fired 5.6x39 cartridge comprising of a 7.62x39 case necked down to the 5.45mm hunting (called 5.6) cartridge, the 74 was originally set up in its pre "A3" phase with glaring similarities to the AKM, the reason the muzzlebrake was designed/ trialed through different variations and adopted was to take the low recoil to make the gun even more accurate. ALSO whereabouts the proposal for the 74M the initial 74M (called A61 or something similar) had a barrel about 3 inches longer with a very RPK74 style flash hider.
The reason the 74s cartridge, it's dimensions and the design/ dimensions of the magazine were radically changed was to prevent a scenario that the "genius" American gun manufacturers failed to fix...(clambering a larger round in a gun for a smaller caliber...say 7.62x39 in 5.6x39 OR the ever so common in the IQ deficit US AR15 community which is .300 BO in a 5.56 chamber)

Picture attached:

Attachments

• Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    550.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm bumping this thread by repeating my question: Is it possible to fit an AK-74 with an AKM slant cut compensator?

I'm bumping this thread by repeating my question: Is it possible to fit an AK-74 with an AKM slant cut compensator?
As I have answered YES YOU CAN
BUT.....
you need to replace the whole front sight assembly with one from an AKM
BUT
that AKM front sight assembly needs to fit on a 5.45 barrel ( I believe the 5.45 and 7.62 barrels have different O.D s.)