F-4 Phantom with AIR-2 Genie?

Iranian F-14A

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Me and a friend got to talking about the Genie and the obvious carriers came up,like the F-101,F-106 and even proposed carriers, such as the F-104 and EE Lightning. But heres my question: Was the F-4 (namely the early model F-4C) ever tested with the AIR-2? I seem to remember seeing a photo of an F-4 packing 2x AIR-2s on the inboard pylons,but I can't seem to find it. Obviously, if the F-4 did carry it, it was purely in the fit check/test and not in the operational role. Any photos or info would be appreciated.

From Bill Gunston "Encyclopedia of Missiles and Rockets", a photo of the F-4C
with two Genie, probably just the one, you was looking for .

Attachments

• F-4_Genie.jpg
    F-4_Genie.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 495
In the spring of 1965 there was an experimental CBU type warhead developed for the AIR-2A at Hill AFB,Utah.
It was test flown on an F-89 and an F-4C.

Iranian F-14A said:
Me and a friend got to talking about the Genie and the obvious carriers came up,like the F-101,F-106 and even proposed carriers, such as the F-104 and EE Lightning. But heres my question: Was the F-4 (namely the early model F-4C) ever tested with the AIR-2? I seem to remember seeing a photo of an F-4 packing 2x AIR-2s on the inboard pylons,but I can't seem to find it. Obviously, if the F-4 did carry it, it was purely in the fit check/test and not in the operational role. Any photos or info would be appreciated.

I know in many of the proposed models for the Air Force, McDonnell included the AIM-2 as a possible weapon for use by the Phantom, especially on the dedicated Interceptor models that were proposed. The proposal for Model 98DE which became the F-4C only mentions the AIM-7 and GAM-83 (Bullpup Air to Ground missile) as armament, but I know that they also had AIM-4 capability as well (it might have been added later). The Air Force was great for that, they order an aircraft and then start adding more capability as time goes on. So I am sure it was possible to add the equipment to use the AIM-2. Now whether they did to more than a handful of aircraft is the real question. In my Air Force days I worked with C's and D's primarily and we never loaded AIM-2s, but then our tasking was as fighter/bombers not air defense. So we loaded a lot of Mavericks, Dumb Bombs, some smart bombs (with pave spike pod) and Nukes. Our alert birds were loaded with Nukes - B57s. I guess the thought was that if the Russians ever crossed the border in Germany our planes in England would slow them down a bit with tactical nuclear weapons. As I left my assignment in England we were starting to transition to A-10s so I guess plans had changed to try and kill the tanks with depleted uranium rounds instead of turning Eastern Europe into a radiation hot zone. :-}

I know in many of the proposed models for the Air Force, McDonnell included the AIM-2 as a possible weapon for use by the Phantom, especially on the dedicated Interceptor models that were proposed. The proposal for Model 98DE which became the F-4C only mentions the AIM-7 and GAM-83 (Bullpup Air to Ground missile) as armament, but I know that they also had AIM-4 capability as well (it might have been added later). The Air Force was great for that, they order an aircraft and then start adding more capability as time goes on. So I am sure it was possible to add the equipment to use the AIM-2. Now whether they did to more than a handful of aircraft is the real question. In my Air Force days I worked with C's and D's primarily and we never loaded AIM-2s, but then our tasking was as fighter/bombers not air defense. So we loaded a lot of Mavericks, Dumb Bombs, some smart bombs (with pave spike pod) and Nukes. Our alert birds were loaded with Nukes - B57s. I guess the thought was that if the Russians ever crossed the border in Germany our planes in England would slow them down a bit with tactical nuclear weapons. As I left my assignment in England we were starting to transition to A-10s so I guess plans had changed to try and kill the tanks with depleted uranium rounds instead of turning Eastern Europe into a radiation hot zone. :-}
Still killing tanks with Uranium. Just at 3000fps instead of an earth-shattering kaboom.