Vultee "Palmer Airplane" (observation type with geodetic construction)

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Richard W. Palmer, an engineer with the Vultee Aircraft Corp., conceived this remarkably original (and equally ugly) aircraft in 1939.

Meant "for use in observation or photographic work", its fuselage was "so designed and constructed that the pilot and observer have unobstructed vision through substantially all parts or portions of it". This was to be done thanks to a "framework of geodetic or latticed design together with flexible transparent plates across the spaces between the diagonally extending members of the framework." The fuselage was "substantially elliptical in cross section" and "of greatest thickness from top to bottom, and the empennage supporting tailboom is fixed to the rear end of the fuselage at a point above the longitudinal center line of the fuselage with the result that the observer in the rear of the fuselage is able to see clearly under the empennage and may look rearwards, as well as rearwards and downwards without any appreciable obstruction."

To put it shortly, it was basically a bubble shaped- transparent airframe providing excellent vision from nearly all sides.

Application for the design alone was filed on December 6, 1939, and Design Patent #Des. 121,963 granted on August 13, 1940.
Application for the entire concept was filed on July 12, 1940, and Patent #2,314,949 granted on March 30, 1943.

Ugly though it was, it would have been interesting to see at least a prototype of this strange machine be constructed, as I have never seen anything of the sort anywhere else, and wonder if it would have worked.

The three-view arrangement and two-view arrangement below were cleaned by myself from both patent documents, which are also provided in PDF form.

Attachments

• Design Patent #121,963 (web).png
    Design Patent #121,963 (web).png
    328.9 KB · Views: 279
  • USD121963.pdf
    109.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Patent #2,314,949 (web).png
    Patent #2,314,949 (web).png
    256.9 KB · Views: 264
  • US2314949.pdf
    972 KB · Views: 6
Nice find my dear Skyblazer,

and maybe it was V-33.

hesham said:
maybe it was V-33.

No it wasn't. Models 33 and 39 were clearly labeled as "Observation-Bomber" types, and the Model 33 was a float plane, anyway.

This aircraft is purely an observation type. I don't think you can seriously imagine such a design being used as a bomber of any kind!

Looks like the result of a wild night in the hangar involving a Wellesley and the Pregnant Perch
Lysander.
;D

jcf said:
Looks like the result of a wild night in the hangar involving a Wellesley and the Pregnant Perch
Lysander.
;D

Perfectly described. ;D

Reminds me of this . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arado_Ar_198

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• Ar198_450x545.jpg
    Ar198_450x545.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 221
  • wwb_img5809.jpg
    wwb_img5809.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 228
Skyblazer said:
No it wasn't. Models 33 and 39 were clearly labeled as "Observation-Bomber" types, and the Model 33 was a float plane, anyway.

This aircraft is purely an observation type. I don't think you can seriously imagine such a design being used as a bomber of any kind!

OK my dear.