Vulcan low flying

A thing of beauty, for sure... and I like the characteristic engine sound too.

XH558 was restored by former Avro employees and enthusiasts thanks to a public subscription and private donations. It was entirely rebuilt and it's quite a feat to see it flying again. I think it even crashed once after that but they repaired it once again... And yes, I believe it is the only Vulcan that flies.

I grew up 200 meters from the south western end of the runway of the factory that now manufactures the wings for Airbus, in the early eighties they would do a cracking airshow every summer. One of the abiding memories of my childhood is standing in the garden of my parents house and a Vulcan looming over me like a star destroyer in the opening credits of star wars, standing on it's tail directly above my house and giving a four barrelled olympus roar. Never seen one since. I'm too afraid to damage the memory.

The factory also hosted a mosquito for a while, that twin merlin sound used to make the older men in the housing estate cheer when it flew over.

Catalytic said:
I grew up 200 meters from the south western end of the runway of the factory that now manufactures the wings for Airbus, in the early eighties they would do a cracking airshow every summer. One of the abiding memories of my childhood is standing in the garden of my parents house and a Vulcan looming over me like a star destroyer in the opening credits of star wars, standing on it's tail directly above my house and giving a four barrelled olympus roar. Never seen one since. I'm too afraid to damage the memory.

The factory also hosted a mosquito for a while, that twin merlin sound used to make the older men in the housing estate cheer when it flew over.

Wow. And where would that be? Duxford? Or somewhere round Chester?

Chester, well actually "JUST" over the border in Broughton north wales.

My parents still live in that house and my dad still makes wings, well just about... vibration white finger ended his riveting career and he'll retire soon

Catalytic said:
Chester, well actually "JUST" over the border in Broughton north wales.

My parents still live in that house and my dad still makes wings, well just about... vibration white finger ended his riveting career and he'll retire soon

I know the area pretty well. Lived/worked as a language assistant in Chester (Christleton, Vicar's Cross...) for about a year in 1986-87.

Amazing, that our paths may have crossed before. There was some footage of the Vulcan on the BBC last night, brought back that feeling in my chest as the Vulcan roar/whine made my heart and lungs vibrate

The uncle of my mother used to live very close to the Yeovilton airbase in Somerset, and in the early 80's he often invited us to stay when the annual air show was on, and to attend it as he always got complimentary tickets. One of my abiding memories of these visits was coming out of his back door on the day before the show and seeing a Vulcan climbing out low over our heads. It was one the most memorable aviation moments I can recall. The sheer noise and sense of power was just fantastic!

Except maybe this in the same year.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AaA7kPfC5Hk

I grew up in the 1970s with summer days filled with aircraft on exercise. Vulcans, B-52, F-111, F-4, Buccaneers, Jaguars etc. The house looked right down a river valley so the aircraft would come over the ridge on one side, drop down a bit then climb out on the other side.

I saw a Vulcan in the flesh just once, I just happened to look up as I walked into the living room, and it was just flying over, I ended up legging it upstairs so I could see it for longer. I only saw it from the rear but at least I can say I saw it, it wasn't long after that it was announced that it quitwas unaffordable to keep flying, shame.

I think I live on some sort of military and/or helicopter flight path. I quite regularly see helicopters of all types, I once saw a Merlin at particularly low level, that is one good looking aircraft.

I remember seeing the Vulcan at Pease AFB in 1980. Impressed by the way it was flown. Good roll rate, zoom climbs, and 90 degree banks during flybys. Talking with the crew after was interesting. "The Bat handles like a fighter". Wish I still had the negatives of that show. The B-52s looked like a slow ox in comparison.