VTOL On Demand Mobility

Moose

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
PteroDynamics wins a US Navy contract

Richard N

Lost in the Sky
Reaction score
Found out more about the Tri-Wing from the German flying model forum I got the video from:

"It is the result of intense development of own software for the flight controller and a lot of work around the homemade EDF units including very smart directional thrust control units. There are a few other tricks like ultralight fuselage covered with thermo-vacuum formed 1.5mm Depron etc.

Maker and pilot is Dietmar Metz.

It is a model of the collaboration of Porsche with Lucasfilm named Tri-Wing S-91x Pegasus Starfighter."

What I find interesting about it is how controllable it is and how little turbulence it stirs up when it is flown in the tent. A helicopter or V-22 model that size would stir up a lot of air and be blowing lightweight airplanes off tables as well as the rotor blades being too dangerous to be allowed near people. This model uses 3 tiny electric ducted fans and thrust vectoring flaps. I don't know how well this model would do man sized, but you already know how much trouble a V-22 causes when it crashes a picnic.

Zoo Tycoon

Reaction score
We finally get to hear what the Lilium evtol prototype sounds like on approach. Pretty quiet.

So what was the ballasted weight? Was the microphone muffled or suited to far field recording? Has the sound track been post processed?

Remember this is a company with a reputation for years of corporate deception;-predicted in service dates missed by large margins, range claims outside the laws of physics, claims of wing born transition demonstrations which were obviously hover taxing (it was just a simple quadcopter), claims that within two and bit. years it’s certification/safety will match a civil aviation standards, I.e a loss model of one in a ten power nine, and claims that that their technology will quickly yield a viable seven a seater.

A sudden burst of honesty?, quite out of character. It’s astonishing that this far into the program there hasn’t been a genuine wing flight transition which suggests there’s obviously deep concerns if it’s fundamentally capable of doing such. And again if this ends in a drama what will that do to their SPAC valuation? …. Best not try eh.

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
The USAF awarded Jetoptera, Inc. a Direct to Phase II Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) contract. Jetoptera will design, build out and test an Upper Surface Blown Wing (USB) equipped, powered high-lift test article integrating Jetoptera’s Fluidic Propulsive System (FPS™), to characterize and further demonstrate the potential of FPSTM to create a signature managed propulsion for VTOL aircraft. The experimental data will be used to deliver a conceptual design of a High Speed Vertical Take Off and Landing (HSVTOL) aircraft.

AeroFranz

Reaction score
The USAF awarded Jetoptera, Inc. a Direct to Phase II Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) contract. Jetoptera will design, build out and test an Upper Surface Blown Wing (USB) equipped, powered high-lift test article integrating Jetoptera’s Fluidic Propulsive System (FPS™), to characterize and further demonstrate the potential of FPSTM to create a signature managed propulsion for VTOL aircraft. The experimental data will be used to deliver a conceptual design of a High Speed Vertical Take Off and Landing (HSVTOL) aircraft.

Can someone smarter than myself please explain to me how USB fits in a VTOL scheme? USB has historically been used for wing lift augmentation and STOL. It also relies in having a very specific nozzle shape, not sure how Jetoptera's 'open loop' nozzle fits into this...

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
The wing USB just gives direction to the airflow thanks to the Coanda effect. The Ejector gives the mass flow.
It's a result of air viscosity with each layer acting on the other (gases can't create a vacuum).

AeroFranz

Reaction score
The wing USB just gives direction to the airflow thanks to the Coanda effect. The Ejector gives the mass flow.
It's a result of air viscosity with each layer acting on the other (gases can't create a vacuum).
Yes, a.k.a. "entrainment".
I don't know that the Jetoptera setup can recreate the same conditions that are presumably necessary for an effective USB flap. Compare it to a standard USB arrangement where you have a very uniform velocity profile coming from the nozzle of a gas turbine.

But assuming that this actually works, and who knows, it could be, it still doesn't explain how you achieve VTOL with a USB flap. Simply deflecting the flap ninety degrees at static conditions will not give you a vertical thrust vector. There are turning efficiency losses. Maybe if they partially tilt the wing as well? You actually need to tilt the thrust vector past the vertical in case you are hovering in a tailwind.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Not necessarily :

Restoration-Vought-V-173-631.jpg

DWG

Reaction score

TLDR: confirmation of an order announced in April of 150 Volocopters for its Volocopter Chengdu joint venture with Aerofugia.

Is it just me, or are a lot of the orders coming through for eVTOLs actually going to joint ventures with the manufacturers? Which suggests independent operators are still wary of the sector.

DWG

Reaction score

TLDR: Brazilian airline Gol to acquire 250 Vertical Aerspace VA-X4s from Irish lessor Avolon, which has 500 on order, though the details sound like all the money is coming from Gol's majority shareholder Grupo Comporte which is simply going through Gol to save setting up a new operator.

I was amused by Avolon's claim this now means they've contracts for over half the VA-X4s they have on order. As 250 is half 500 on its own they just need a single extra lessee for a single extra aircraft for that to be true.

Also amusing is the expectation it'll be certified for operation by 2024 (mid-2025 for Gol) considering they only signed up Rolls-Royce to produce the (electric) powertrain in March this year.

Last edited:

DWG

Reaction score

TLDR: turbine-powered quadcopter, 607kg, 7.4m by 7.4m, folds to fit an ISO container, first flight end 2022, 121kts, 362kg (800lbs) to 50nm or 136kg to 326nm either podded or underslung, 523nm self-deployment range with external fuel.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
I am not sure that you can integrate in many airports with only 60s of vertical lift. I hope that they have provisioned a normal landing mode.

Helicopters, for example, often have to follow taxi procedures while hovering close to the ground.